+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Methods of waterproofing

moonlitflies,

Have you tried a furled leader made from Coats & Clarke 100% Nylon Quilting Thread? It comes in 2 different diameters ( .004 &.005) and 2 different colors ( clear & smoke). I have made up several of these for folks who fish mainly dry flies and they seem to like them plus they would not soak up any water and they make a really small diameter furled leader.

You can find this material at any store that sells sewing threads like Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's and some Wal-Marts.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I use Silicone Water-Guard in a 13.125 ounce spray can with an orange top that says 50%....from wal mart. I just spray enough into a can and soak the leader overnight and hang out to dry. Been working for me. I tried to copy and paste a link here but didn't work for me.

I don't make my own, but I've acquired a few over the years from those who do. All the ones I have are made from thread, and what I do each year is treat them with floatant. Initially, with Water Shed. I picked up a really good floatant, made by the owner, at small fly shop in Waitsfield, VT last year. I treated the leaders I was using and it kept them floating the rest of the season. I've never treated any mono or fluorocarbon furled leaders with floatant. I use them mainly with my intermediate line.
    I use clear polyester thread for a lot of my fly tying these days. Not sure it's Coates and Clark brand but found in the same area in the craft stores. C&C also makes metallic thread, I have gold, silver, copper and pearl, that I use in fly tying for bodies and ribbing.

+ Reply to Thread