+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LEAVE NO TRACE - OUTDOOR ETHICS AND FISHING - Readers cast (Bill Houk) - Nov 6, 2011

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default LEAVE NO TRACE - OUTDOOR ETHICS AND FISHING - Readers cast (Bill Houk) - Nov 6, 2011

LEAVE NO TRACE - OUTDOOR ETHICS AND FISHING

Leave No Trace is an ethical education program based on seven principals designed to limit or reduce our impact while engaged in outdoor recreational activities. The Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics and its volunteer teach people how to enjoy the outdoors responsibly. Leave No Trace is endorsed by such organizations as the U.S. Forest Service, The National Park Service, many state and local natural resource management organizations and the Boy Scouts of America.

Many of us practice Leave no Trace, because that's what we were taught. Personally, I learned those principles in the Boy Scouts back in the 50's. Having said that, it's always good to go over those principle in review. Thank you for posting!
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Being an old Scoutmaster and scouter for over 20 years the Leave No Trace credo is ingrained. It infuriates me to see what others do to the resource with no thought. I taught my scouts along with my sons how we should respect the resource as well as give back. They may not have adopted all of my values, but they definitely know how to go into the backcountry and leave no trace. Usually we end up carrying out much more than we ever took in due to those who don't give a care.
    Great article, thanks for sharing.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Good article, thanks for sharing. I'll add one thing if I may, most of my fishing is done on private owned land where I have permission to go. Always leave the gates the way you find them. If they are open leave them that way and if they are closed close them. I know of one farmer who noticed his cows acting strange one day, when he investigated he found a gate shut that had previously been open. No doubt someone thought they were doing him a favor, trouble was, the only water the cows had access to was thru that gate. luckily he noticed it and no harm was done, but i'm sure those cows were thirsty. He could have easily been out of town for a few days and it might have ended much differently. Great article though, I really enjoyed it and wish every one would follow those rules.

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Picking up after others has it's advantages.

I walk for my exercise. My walk takes me through a private club campground. They have no problem letting me use their path because they see me picking up trash every day. I will even go into the water to retrieve it. I don't do it because I can get and keep permission easier, but it's a nice perk! I fish many places that others can't. The owners know that I come out with trash that I didn't go in with.

Thanks for the positive comments, especially the point about gates. Raised in the country that is as automatic as following the other principals. Most of us do practice Leave No Trace (and did not know it) because we were raised that way or we respect nature. The nice thing about the Leave No Trace program is it presents seven simple principals that can be applied in the most complex ways. Many people are now so distanced from nature they have forgotten or never knew these simple guidelines. Thanks, again!

Bill

+ Reply to Thread