+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: streamer book

Default streamer book

OK, so I'm going to fish streamers more - I really am. I'm tired of staring at an indicator, and dry flies are only good at certain times. I don't want to chuck those things that break your arm to get them out there, I want to fling those bucktail thingamajigs that don't look too complicated to tie, and I think I ought to have one of Kelly Galloup's books to get started - doesn't he advocate unweighted streamers? So do I have to buy all of them to figure this unweighted streamer thing? Or can you recommend some "light" winter reading?

Take a look at Thunder Creek Flies, Tying and Fishing the Classic Baitfish Imitations by Keith Fulsher with David Klausmeyer. It is an interesting variation on buck tail streamers and gives you an opportunity to work with epoxy. They are actually very easy to tie. I did get my copy of the book at the local Half Price Books store.

Blog Entries

I am a 45+ year streamer tyer and was always a streamer fisherman. If you want a book that will give you fishing techniques and proven streamers, I suggest the Classic "Streamer Fly Tying & Fishing" and also "Streamers & Bucktails" both by Joseph D. Bates Jr. ( available on Amazon.com used $30 range ). Also try your local Library, if they don't have it, they can most likely borrow it for you.

I second "Streamers and Bucktails" by Joe Bates.Have had mine for about 30 years and its still a good read.

If you are not in a hurry, Bates books show up from time to time on e-bay at good prices.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Thanks for the suggestions - will go for Bates book and peruse Youtube - would never have thought of youtube.

There are plenty of bucktail streamers or feather wing streamers (Matukas are cool) in the tying books and in images online. There are probably lots in the archives here at FAOL. They just have to look like a minnow after all. Using synthetics makes them even lighter since that material doesn't absorb water ("I want to fling those bucktail thingamajigs that don't look too complicated to tie"). Synthetics are easier to fling.
    I saw Kelly at two talks at the Michigan Fly Show last March and so suggest you don't need to follow his example. He prefers to cast from a drift boat toward the bank (where there is cover) with large flies that splat upon landing, to catch big fish. So his flies - while being excellent for bass - are rather complicated and clunky for 'normal' trout.

Thanks Greg.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing by Dr. Joseph Bates is sort of like the Bible on Streamers and Bucktails. Every fly tyer should (and probably does, at least us older ones) have a copy in their bookcase.

My copy was my dads. It is the 1966 First Edition.

+ Reply to Thread