+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to do with those little plastic hook boxes?

Hybrid View

Default What to do with those little plastic hook boxes?

Hi folks. I use those C&F magnetic hook pallets. So, I have a bunch (like 50-100) of those little plastic boxes that hooks come in. They seemed so cool, I couldn't throw them away. Now I've had them in a large size ziploc for like 3 years and haven't used them. Anyone have a good use for them before I put them in the recycling bin? Need not be flyfishing related.

Also, if anyone wanted to pay shipping, they could have (all of) them.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

They are great for shipping small flies to people in fly swaps or if you are going to donate some flies to a good cause they are great for that as well.

Larry ---sagefisher---

As Larry suggested, I use them for transporting a few flies from one place to another. I also use them for staging tying materials on my bench when I am tying a dozen flies of one type. I will prepare all the hooks an put in one of those little boxes, prepare some materials and put in another box. It allows me to keep all the materials close at hand without having to go back to the larger storage bins. I usually keep a few of them on my bench just for short term storage.

Ted

If you tie at FFF conclaves/EXPO's, they are great to give the demo. flies away in, so that the folks don't lose their new flies.

When I mix up a batch of dubbing I always have some left after tying. I put it in one of those boxes. I should always label the box but often leave that for later. Later hasn't arrived yet in a few weeks and I don't remember just what's in there so it is hard to duplicate the blend but it gives a starting point for the next batch.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

Rainbowchaser,

I like that idea, a small dubbing box. If you drilled a 3/16 or so hole in the top you could pluck the dubbing out as needed.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Thanks, Larry. I'm going to try drilling a hole in a few of them. One problem with those shallow boxes is that it's easy to knock the dubbing out of them when the top is open.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I am not sure what the boxes look like that you are referring to, but, I have the small boxes that Dai-Riki hooks came in and they have a preformed loop on them for hanging on hooks on a peg board display and you can use those for putting flies, sinkers, strike indicators, etc., in and just attach to a lanyard. Beats carrying a fly box on short trips.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread