I just had a very bad experience with this drug. The drug was originally prescribed for epileptic seizures but it is also used to treat neurotic pain like the bake pain or diabetic foot pain that I suffer. the drug made me incredibly sleepy but that is not the worst of it. This drug can have devastating mental side effects like the ones in the following article:

http://www.drugs.com/gabapentin.html

The Gabapentin form was prescribed for me as part of my pain management treatment for my back. In my chore of filling out all those new patient forms for my new doc I forgot to tell her that I suffer from mild PTSD. Once again it was Amy to the rescue. She became concerned about some of the behavior changes I was showing and when she finally dragged it out of me that some of the dreams had returned she talked me into calling my doctor. Right away the doctor had me stop the Gabapentin. Huge difference! Darned sure glad I didn't do some of the things I was thinking of doing to myself.

I am not saying don't take this drug but I am saying take it with extreme caution. Be certain that you tell your doc about any issues like PTSD, Bipolar or etc....BEFORE they prescribe Neurontin (Gabapentin) for you. If you do take the drug have someone monitor you closely around the clock and report any mood/behavioral changes to the doctor immediately. Of course the drug affects everyone differently so your mileage may vary.

I am back to good old ibuprofen once a day. The epidural shots have really helped my back pain.