Thread: Night Fishing for Browns

Threaded View

In Scotland there is a knowing band of anglers that fish "The Gloaming" & well into the night. Not for the faint hearted. Too often have seen anglers crashing about the bank with loud raucous voices to their friends scaring every living thing for miles around. Why do they do it.....bcause they are scared of the dark I reckon. Night fishing is not for every one but as others have said it is the time to be out & about for the big boys. Be quiet to study & study to be quiet I say.
    Couple of things I will pass on though.
    1. Do not be quick to start. The evening rise might be petering out but wait a while for the Trout to be accustomed to the dark & the change to a different fly life Sedge (caddis) & moths. Chill out for an hour or two, get your night vision, then proceed.
    PS Keep a torch use to a minimum. I use a Maglight with a red filter hung round my neck on a cord & a couple of spare batteries is useful.
    2. If you can have a look at where you intend to fish during daylight hours,note any obstructions etc that way it will give you an idea of any pitfalls when wading in the dark.Do not stride out, more a shuffle if anything.
    3. Make of some spare tippets with flies attached, saves a bundle of time fumbling about in the dark.

But most off all enjoy.
    Tight Lines
    Last edited by Highlander; 11-05-2011 at 05:44 PM.