+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Mexico ideas for March???

Default New Mexico ideas for March???

My wife and I have some time off in early March, and are thinking about taking a trip to New Mexico, maybe into Arizona if we have time. I would like to spend some time doing a bit of fly fishing, she is interested in watercolor painting, we both love history, and really enjoy good scenery. What can you tell us about the area?
    1. What recommendations would you make for waters to try that time of year? I plan on doing a guided trip for a day while we are there, and have looked at a number of outfitter sites so far. Any that stand out in your mind as really good?
    2. What should I bring for rods? Around here, I fish trout with 3- and 4-weights. Would those be good, or should I bring my bigger rods?
    3. Any good regional patterns I should know about? I always like to tie a special box when we take a trip.
    4. What national parks, monuments, historical sites, state parks, or other outdoor sights should we really try to see?
    5. Any cultural sites or events we should try to get to while we are there?
    6. Is there anything else that I may have forgotten???
    Thanks in advance for any input you can give us. It's always appreciated.
    Cj

You could always fish the San Juan; never have but it's on my to-do list. That puts you pretty close to Mesa Verde, which is worth the trip itself if you've never been there; Chaco Canyon, Hovenweep, Durango (take the train to Silverton; great day trip), Shiprock. Lots of great stuff to see.

Along with the San Juan, if you could do a side trip into Arizona and go to Lee's Ferry, it would be an excellent adventure for you and the wife combined, excellent fishing and scenery to boot.

trinity test site is open the 1st saturday in april.

Fish the San Juan and visit the Aztec ruins just a skip away

http://www.nps.gov/azru/index.htm

http://www.aztecnm.com/
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Early March might be a tad cool for anyplace but the San Juan, but if you like the cold, you could investigate the Taos area, Rio Grande, Red river, etc. or the Pecos, which might be a tad warmer. If you hit the San Juan you could get by with a 4 wt, or even a 3, but you might get a tussle on the 3 if you get into a 22 inch fish. You could pm Vmabuck about the Pecos area.

+ Reply to Thread