+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tube Flies

Hybrid View

Default Tube Flies

What can anyone tell me about tube flies? I'm looking at them for smallmouth bass. I've never used one or tied one, just happened to find it on the internet. Does anyone have experience with them and want to share their thoughts?

Thanks
    Phil Bonnel

I have used tube flies for Steelhead. The idea behind the design for me was that you could use a short shank hook but still have a large (streamer) fly. I had made two and half inch wooly buggers with a short hook (can't remember what kind) which worked well last spring. The other thing about tubes is that you can interchange the sections so that you can mix and match colours. You can add middle sections to make the fly longer. If you want to try tubes but don't want to buy all the special equipment then just use Q-Tip shafts. You will need a stiff wire that will fit into the Q-Tip. Flatten one end of the wire which goes into the vice. There needs to be some of the flattened section sticking out on the fly side of the vice so that you can push the Q-Tip over it. This will keep the tube from spinning on the wire as you tie. They are fun to tie and experiment with. Use a cone head for weight or lead wire. When you are tying the fly leave about 1/8" of tube clear at both ends of the fly. Carefully use a lighter to melt the end. It should curl backward toward the fly. Don't let it burn the fly. This curled end will prevent the thread tying material from slipping off the tube. (Practice) I suggest a woolly bugger as an easy first tie. They will work just fine (depending on the pattern) for smallies.
    Last edited by Tig; 10-29-2011 at 02:15 PM.

I discovered them a couple of years back at The Fly Fishing Show. The guy at Eumer Tube Flies was demonstrating how to tie tube flies and told me they can be used for more than just Salmon fishing. I bought some of the components to try. I have tied mostly Wooly Buggers and streamers.

Here is a link to Eumer tube flies that may interest you. http://www.eumertube.com/index.php
    Trout don't speak Latin.

AlanB Guest

As Tig said you can use Q Tip tube for tube flies. The best way I have seen for stopping it spinning on the wire is to cut the tube off at 45 degrees and bend the end of the wire at 90 degrees (the last 1/8" only). Then drop the wire into the tube so the bend sits in the 45 degree angle, put the wire into your vice, and tie your fly. Trim this angled section off before "mushrooming" the end of the tube as Tig said. I was first shown this by Marc Petitjean.
    Cheers,
    Alan.

A simple way to prepare a q-tip shaft is to cut it, then melt it in a flame like an alcohol lamp or a candle.
    When it starts to melt, press down vertically on a cold metal plate, like a hobbyist anvil.
    The end will curl over very nicely with a bit of practice.

Here are some fairly cheap vise attachment devices, the last one costs 1(one) pound sterling for 4 needles.

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/veni...apter~600.html

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/-tub...hment~601.html

http://www.tomcsaville.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=10

http://www.tomcsaville.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=10
    Last edited by Donald Nicolson; 10-29-2011 at 05:39 PM.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Quote Originally Posted by fishing-phil View Post
    What can anyone tell me about tube flies? I'm looking at them for smallmouth bass. I've never used one or tied one, just happened to find it on the internet. Does anyone have experience with them and want to share their thoughts?

Thanks
    Phil Bonnel
    I only use tube flies for smallies b/c they dont have as big a tendency to swallow tube flies - much safer for the fish. I tie the same types of flies (buggers, etc).

Thank you everyone for the information... I think I will try some and see how it goes and go from there.

Thanks
    Phil

AlanB Guest

Remember that when you are tying tubes like woolly buggers there are two ways you can tie the tail in. You can tie it on top of the tube, or around the tube. Sorry I have no clue which would be better for your fishing. Tie one of each and see which looks better to your eye.

For some reason, over here, people think that a tube can only be fished with a treble hook. I've been challenged more than once and told I can't use tubes for trout. When I show them that I have a single barbless hook on them they say I can use them.

There are some interesting saltwater tubes here.
    Last edited by AlanB; 10-30-2011 at 04:33 AM.

AlanB, you can also tie the tail on the hook. Thats the way I prefer them. Then I can change the colour or length if I prefer by tying up several tails in different colours and lengths.

+ Reply to Thread