+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to test knot strength?

weight-on-the-bottom rigs have been used for eons in the rest of the fishing universe. This whole "Drop Shotting" thing in the bass fishing world is another name for it, from what I gather. We'd use two hook rigs with a weight on the bottom all the time while ice fishing for perch and stuff. Surf fishing with bait, we'd use a pyramid sinker or wire-leg sinker on the end, with a hook/leader tied a couple feet above. The options are pretty much endless. There's no reason to think it could be any less effective for fly fishing! One definite advantage is for snags(on rocks, not fish)- quite often the sinker is what gets snagged, not the hook, and with split shot on the bottom rig, if they get snagged they can just be pulled off and your fly will be free. Could be the next Big Thing. You should do some more research then try to publish an article about it before somebody else takes credit. I don't understand "Crunchy" paralleling your idea to snagging ???

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    One definite advantage is for snags(on rocks, not fish)- quite often the sinker is what gets snagged, not the hook, and with split shot on the bottom rig, if they get snagged they can just be pulled off and your fly will be free.
    I had thought of that as well and that's another thing I like about the idea. To be clear, I'm not talking about any more weight than would normally be used in a "standard" dead drifted nymphing rig, I'm just talking about repositioning it. There is a type of nymphing called "bounce nymphing" that I've read about before and that may have even been discussed here a time or two. It employs considerably more weight than normal and lets the indicator drag or "bounce" the rig through a run, but I'm not envisioning anything quite like that.

+ Reply to Thread