Crunchy,

John N. If Ladyfisher reads this, she is more than likely paceing the floor. What you have discribed with having the weight
below the fly is nothing more than a snagging rig. There is a place in western Washington where Ladyfisher once lived and
where the Chum Salmon come to spawn around September. The meat anglers would line up on one side of the water way and wait for a school of salmon to swin up stream, then they would cast to the other bank and as the school was right in front of them they would real their lines back in a jerking motion. Needless to say this was very a successfull operation.
Unit one day the MAN came down to see for himself. I think it was the request by the fly fisher people. However, The MAN walked off with several people and their gear. (Looked like salt water gear) As soon as the word got around to the
meat anglers our water became quite peacefull again and we could fly fish out in the estuarry where a salmon could drag
you all around to where the tops of our wadders would almost go under. L F if you are reading this I know you are nodding your head and laughing about being drug around by a fish !

The thing on knots is some knots call for the tippet to pass through the eye of the hook twice. I found that doing so usually caused the second loop to cross over the bottom loop in the eye thus causing a pressure X to be formed. What I learned in chem class is that this kind of pressure causes the bottom portion of the knot to "Flow Cold." againsed the eye and thus being whe weakest part of the knot. I know this opened a can of worms on this one, and someone with a lot more knowledge and experience out there has the answer !

Crunchy