+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flies for Rainbows in a lake

Hybrid View

Default Flies for Rainbows in a lake

I'm heading out tomorrow to give lake fishing for bows a shot. There is a little lake not far that is stocked with them. I need some suggestions on what to fish with. I figured I'd tie up some small streamers. I've got a bunch of #10 streamer hooks that I'll tie up. I would imagine I should tie a nymph of sorts. I just don't know what.

The lake is a small lake that only gets about 20' deep. I guess they come within reach of a floating line in the fall. I'd guess the water temps are right around the 50 to 55 degree range right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should tie?

Buggers work just about everywhere; bead-head PT or hare's ear, etc. If you want to seem classy (the whole tweed jacket/English setter look) try a Carey Special. Eat well (I'm assuming some are coming home, yes?)

Regards,
    Scott

I'm a 99% dry fly fisherman. Take a look at my "Costly Rainbow" thread. The 2 Rainbows mentioned were caught on a #16 Griffiths Gnat. Good luck

My lake experience with trout has had success with black and grizzly/white-bodied buggers in size 10 like you have there.
    Use thes during the day.
    When the sun goes off the water the trout round here tend to come up to the surface. I have luck with BWO's, caddis, and floating muddlers.

Nothing fancy, but it seems to catch fish.
    Good luck; have fun

Chironomids under a strike indicator. Vary the depth until you find the fish.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Slumpbusters!

Donat ... don't feel bad! We figured the two trout we caught in the AuSable (MI Fish-In), cost about $1500.00 EACH!! Wouldn't change THAT for the world!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

In my limited experience the best luck I have had in the mountain lakes of eastern Arizona was casting to rises with chromomids in one lake and a dry fly with a nymph dropper at sunset in another. Lately on the Chattahoochee River I have had success with soft hackles under a dry fly in the slack water near the bank.

If you have a local fly shop or bulletin board based in the area give them a call Gander Mountain or BPS may have a store in the area with a fly shop.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thanks everyone. I've got my work cut out for me. I've only tied a couple for the trip and I'll have to tie a bunch more tonight.

Uncle Jesse,
    There isn't a fly shop in my area. Gander has almost nothing, and they know even less than they have. There is one store with a small fly shop, but only one guy that works it and he isn't much help. It's very frustrating to be middle of all this great fishing (fly fishing too) and have nobody else around that does it. People around these parts think of it as a trout only sport. That's just not the case.

Blog Entries

Yep, you have been given some great suggestions. Woolly Buggers in black or brown or green (my favorite) and sometimes white work great in lakes, fished deep down along the bottom or sometimes trolled only a couple feet under the surface. A red San Juan Worm fished under a strike indicator with the worm just 6 inches off the bottom is good all winter.

For surface this time of year, there will be midges hatching so the Griffith's Gnat suggestion was a good choice, or a parachute Adams and a Renegade works well too.

Have fun.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

Arkman,

Just wondering, what flies were you using?

Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread