+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Costly Rainbow

Hybrid View

Default Costly Rainbow

I caught a 251/2" Rainbow with no camera. My wife had doubt so I took her camera yesterday and caught a 22" Rainbow took a picture put the camera back in my vest and when I bent to release the fish the camera fell in the water. My wife settled on a nikon camera 038.jpgnew Nikon Coolpix. Here is a pic of the $125.00 Rainbow.

Sounds like your wife is an understanding woman. You got off cheap. Really nice fish though.

Gearkeepers work very well for preventing cameras, forceps, and other fishing gear from getting lost or dunked in the water.

http://www.gearkeeper.com/flyfish/cameraretractor.html

I think Kelly has it figured out waterproof. When I dropped my camera in the river it was still in my shirt pocket, got the blackberry on my belt also. Thank God, it was July and I was wearing neoprene for once.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

On another BB, there is a waterproof camera thread. The Pentax Optio has been the best waterproof camera for a while, but in the last few years, it has been overtaken by Panasonic, IMHO. I posted the following and other posters agreed with my choice of a waterproof camera.

I posted the following:

"I have bought a new waterproof camera every year or 2. Now I have a camera I think I can keep, it is so good. In the past, these underwater cameras took poorer quality regular photos than my Sony non-waterproof compact digital with a Zeiss lens. So I used to use the Sony for regular photos and the waterproof one on a fishing trip.

I have owned an Olympus, then a Pentax Optio, but the best of the bunch is the one I have now. It is Panasonic Lumix DMC TS2 that even shoots 720 P HD Video. With a Leica lens it shoots sharp eye popping images and with my 16 gig card I have virtually unlimited video and photo capability. I think I can shoot over 10 hours of video or about 25,000 photos.

It has even has facial recognition and image stabilization. It has 3 underwater modes and comes with a free silicone skin that my other two cameras did not have. It takes great standard photos which the Olympus and Pentax did not. I think it is the Leica lens which is a German like the Zeiss lens in my Sony.

Check the review below of the current cameras. The newer Lumix TS3 out scores all the cameras tested including the second place Sony which costs over $50 more. Hmm, can you say German lenses rock. It is now less than what I paid in 2009.

'Compact Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q3 2011) Review: 4. Panasonic Lumic DMC-TS3: Digital Photography Review

'Compact Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q3 2011) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

I'd get the Lumix without a thought."
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Thanks for the tips on securing my camera. I do have a waterproof Pentax but I forgot it at camp in Maine. Have to go get it!!!

EL Head yes she is, lucky me.

Bobbyg it is a 50's circa Heddon bamboo that needed some ferrule and guide work. I fish it as a 5wt. A gift from a very good friend who taught me to fly fish.

Figure it went about 4lbs and that's a little over $30/lb; yeah that's an expensive 'bow.

Next one,get a waterproof on a lanyard.Ray

After having dunked several cameras over the years, my son and I came up with a good method for keeping the rig attached to us and handy whenever we're on the water. Yes, we did finally get good waterproof cameras, my son got a Pentax Optio WS80, and I now have a Pentax Optio W90. Both take high quality photos and despite several dunkings (intentional due to the waterproof feature), they still perform extremely well. The important part though is to make sure we never lose a camera while fishing, so we came up with the following solution:
    1. We attach the camera strap provided for the camera from the factory to a purchased Velcro camera case.
    2. We attach a lanyard or other similar strap to the camera and then affix it to the camera case.
    3. The camera case you purchase should have a Velcro strap on the back which we then wrap around our wader or chest pack strap with the camera case oriented upside down.
    4. Always put the camera strap around your neck
    Now you have the camera in its case hanging around your neck, attached to your waders oriented upside down with the camera itself attached to another smaller lanyard attached to the camera case. Sounds complicated (look at the picture). When you need the camera you just pull the Velcro case flap (different from the Velcro attachment on the back of the case that affixes the case to your wader/chest-pack strap), the camera falls free, still attached to the smaller lanyard and its right there ready for use and will not drop in the water and swim away.

A lot of words of description where the following picture should explain most of it:

We haven't lost or accidentally dunked a camera since applying this solution, and our camera is always there at the ready. We purchased the cases at WalMart, but I'm sure there are several options and brands out there. Anyway, works well for us in most situations.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Quote Originally Posted by Donat View Post
    I caught a 251/2" Rainbow with no camera. My wife had doubt so I took her camera yesterday and caught a 22" Rainbow took a picture put the camera back in my vest and when I bent to release the fish the camera fell in the water. My wife settled on a Attachment 9309new Nikon Coolpix. Here is a pic of the $125.00 Rainbow.
    Amusing post Donat! I wish I could just go catch another bow over 20" when need be! Sorry about your oops!!

It would appear you were fishing bamboo? May I ask what rod you were using?
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

+ Reply to Thread