+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Donate to soldiers in the middle east

Phil & interested members,
    Because I was and am also concerned and no way could I know for sure if Phil is for real or not. I sent him a personal e-mail asking him to convince me his request is for real. He answered me and his answer is posted, here and again on the "Wanted" thread. He also sent me his APO address which I will not include here. If you would like to help out what I believe to be a legitimate request, send him a request for his APO address. I am sure he will respond. It appears to me that he is on his second deployment at this time. I for one will be sending him some stuff to use in his classes.

Denny Admin.
    Denny

Thanks Denny!
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Thanks Denny!

Denny,

Thanks. I've sent Phil a PM and will send some 'stuff' this coming week.
    Told my son you said to keep his head down, lol.

Allan

A couple people have asked specifically what I need... Honestly I don't know. My biggest fear is not having enough vices, tools, and hooks. On the other hand, I don't need everyone sending that and then not having enough supplies for the guys. So, back to square one, I don't specifically know what to ask for. My goal is to get them started and feeling comfortable to do it on their own. They just need some stuff to get comfortable with the principles of tying. Once they know what they are doing it's up to them where they take it from there and to get their own stuff. I'm just planting the seed and watering it a little.

Again, a BIG THANK YOU to everyone that has shown intrest in helping me get this started. The more I talk about tying, the more guys want to learn. This is getting bigger and better than I imagined it would be. I'm pretty excited about.

Here are a couple thoughts, how about creating a rough list of what you want to start with, and what flies you will likely teach that will give a better idea of materials and then post the list. One other thing to think about is how about trying to contact a big box store like cabelas or basspro and see if they are willing to donate anything?

Everyone, as always, THANK YOU very much for being a huge part of me being able to give this calss. I recently found out that some friends from Capital City Fly Fishers in Jefferson City, MO have donated 6 kits. I want to send a BIG THANK YOU to those nice folks. As far as any particle supplies I need, I want to tie several types of flies and get them comfortable working with many different kinds materials. I think we are going to start out with a Wolly Bugger, some kind of foam popper, Some streamers, Clouser Minnow, a dry fly or two, midge, and probably a pheasant tail nymph. I might try a deer hair popper but spinning deer hair is not one of my strong points. Also might depend on what most of them plan on fishing for. Once they have a good idea of what they are doing, I'm going to let them pick what they want to do and if they have a question I'll be there to help them out. Lately there have been more and more people coming up and telling me they are wanting to take a class. I'm going to see what we get and go from there. If I have to turn people away, I will have another class and by then if the first group knows that they are going to continue to tie I'll have them get their own stuff... which I know several are already planning on doing. I think this is going to be great for our sport and I thank all of you for being a HUGE part of it. There's no way I could have made it this far without everyones help.

Hi Phil,

I've got a box ready and I'll try to mail it out today or Monday. Hope you can use what I'm sending.
    Thanks for your service and helping others over there.

Allan

Thank you very much Allan. There is no doubt that we will be able to use whatever it is you send. I keep looking forward to the day that I get back on here and thank everyone. Mail is taking a long time. They say that the troops that are pulling out of Iraq and shipping stuff home has caused a delay in the mail. I have guys ask on a daily basis if I'm ready to start giving the class. The number of guys wanting to take the class has doubled. I now have over a dozen guys wanting to take it. I am going to split them up and give two seperate classes. I'm just glad for the oppertunity to be the one to get these guys started tying. Thanks again and God bless.

Phil

If anyone donated anything to my tying class and did not get an email letting you know that I got it, it's because I never got your package. Plese let me know so I can try to track it down. My email is philbonnel@gmail.com.

I also wanted to let everyone know what's going on with the class. As ALWAYS (when it comes to the military) there were some changes made to our schedual. Some of the guys in my squad went to differen't shifts and different days off... So, it didn't work out as I planned to have a "class", however I've been able to work with them one on one which is OK... means more tying for me There is only one or two guys that originally wanted to that I haven't been able to get together with... but it will happen sooner or later. If you would like to see flies that I've been working on, you can go to: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...s/144375323203 I've tried to get the guys to let me take pictures of their flies but they always tell me they will next time, when they get better.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and has a great new year... God bless.
    Phil Bonnel

+ Reply to Thread