+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Saltwater Fly Fishers opions on Backing

Dr. Fish-

Jeff-which knots do you prefer when tying spectra backing to arbor, backing to flyline" Also-which know do you use to attach flies to fly hooks in SW ?

Thanks,
    Rich

I'm sorry for the delay in answering your questions. My wife flew out for a few days vacation so I've been playing Mr. Mom

I typically attach about 5 feet or so of mono to the spool and then double Uni-knot the Power Pro to that. Joining the mono to the spool is easy. Tie an overhand knot in the line and then trim off the tag after the knot. Now run the line around the spool and tie an overhand knot. Snug it down being sure you have a couple inches of tag to work with. Now tie another over hand knot and pull tight until the knot at the end of your mono is seated against the spool. It's simple to tie and holds very well. I have had a few tense moments when fish took all my backing and there I was with outstretched arms hoping we could catch up before it was too late

My fly lines in weights of say 8 and up have those braided loops on each end. To join the end of the fly line to the PowerPro is also easy. Double your Power Pro so you have about 12" of doubled line. Now tie a double overhand knot so that the knot is positioned about 5 inches (or so) from the end of the double line. Tighten the knot completely. Now tie another double overhand knot a couple inches up from the other one, forming a loop about an inch or two long. Now you can loop to loop your Power Pro to your fly line. To tighten the knots on the Power Pro I use a heavy leather glove to grip the line and pass a SMOOTH shafted screwdriver through the loop. You can now apply a lot of pressure and be sure the knots are tight. In the many years I've been using PowerPro, I have never had one of these knots fail, despite the great pressure they have been exposed to.

As far as tying the flies onto my leader I simply use either an improved clinch, Palomar or loop knot depending on the situation.

Hope this helps

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

I make my connections differently than Dr. Fish. I don't know if the methods I use are instrinsically better by they have been proven in battle by many bluewater anglers.

For the backing to reel connection I tie a bimini (at least 70 turns in spectra) such that I get a long doubled line. I take the doubled line and take several turns around the reel arbor opposite the way the line is normally wound on, crossing the line over itself. I then finish with a uni-knot or arbor not around the standing line and everything is cinched down. I then crank the line on normally. Initially winding on opposite before the knot is tied helps lock everything down once you start winding the line normally.

For the backing to line connection, I tie a bimini to get a doubled line. The doubled line is then folded over and tied into a surgeons loop knot such that I have a two strand loop. This is then looped to a braided loop connecter on the fly line using a Cat's Paw connection. Spectra is slicker than dacron and may roll around the loop in a flyfline into a girth hitch that creates a weak connection - hence the use of the Cat's Paw which esentially passes the line flyline through the backing loop several times.

See the following link for a illustration of the Cat's Paw.
    [url=http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/knotsrigs/catspawsplice.html:c2a37]www.fishnet.com.au/library/knotsrigs/catspawsplice.html[/url:c2a37]

Smernsky, great question and great responces, I'm glad I went with the Gel spun.

Jeff (Dr. Fish) The velco crab is a great tie, I hope it does the job in Eleuthera. I can't wait.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

I much perfer my method only because of the ease of tying the knots. Why tie a Bimini (especially a 70 turn B)when you don't have to. The Uni is very easy. You can't get any easier than a double overhand.

Keep it simple I say, especially if it works very well

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish

I use the bmini method only because I wan't the strongest connection possible. I don't find biminis that difficult to tie either. I also get the doubled loop in the spectra this way.

I have seen and been told of failures at the spectra or flyline loop with a single strand loop to fly line. I think Jeff's method is fine for most applications though - otherwise he wouldn't have posted it.

I have no doubt that you could probably tie Bimini's in your sleep

They are however tough for newbie's to master. You are correct that as far as strength, the Bimini is rock solid. I can tie them but I prefer not to if I can avoid it.

With some of the bluewater fly-fishing we do, we use straight 30lb or even 40lb for leader. Sometimes it's amazing how much pressure a rod can handle and we've had no failures (just the way we like it).

If someone is going to get into bluewater fly-fishing they should certainly learn the Bimini as it is a good knot to know, especially when tying class tippet leaders.

I've switched from 50lb to 65lb PowerPro for backing. The difference in diameter is insignificant but the added strength and abrasion resistance is great to have.

Now I just need the time to get out and have the weather cooperate.

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish

+ Reply to Thread