The Iowa DNR has an "Urban Trout" program. In the Fall, Winter, and early Spring, they will stock selected large ponds/small lakes near high-population areas (a relative term here, of course) with trout. It is what the DNR terms a "put-and-take" fishery, since the summertime water temperatures in these ponds will normally get too warm to support trout survival. In several of the lakes I've fished, the trout have survived at least into July and even early August.

The purpose is to provide trout fishing to people and areas where trout would normally not be available. This increases sales in the Trout fishing licenses, and I've been told the program is at least "break-even", where it pays for itself through the increased Trout License sales. The DNR likes this, and have been expanding the program.

The DNR generally stocks only Rainbow Trout for this program. However, this past week they surprised us by also stocking some Brook Trout in one of the nearby lakes. I had not caught a Brook Trout before, so I was thrilled! We had 20-30mph winds when I visited the lake over the weekend, so I used spinning gear most of the time. I caught a dozen rainbow trout and 2 brookies (one was foul-hooked, however). The 2nd one was a gravid female, and was squirting out some eggs while I was trying to get a few pictures.

So, my question is....what fly patterns would you suggest for Brookies that were raised on pelleted food, were stocked in a small lake only about a week ago, and might be somewhat affected by spawning?