+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crappie Flies

Hybrid View

Default Crappie Flies

I'm thinkin' I'm going to work on some Crappies next Spring. It's starting to get pretty cold here so that's why the next Spring idea. I have never concentrated on Crappies or Bluegills so I'm not sure what flies I should be tying. For now I'm working on colorful chenille and leggy bodies with bead heads and a little lead. Am I thinkin' right or should I go a different direction. I'll be picking up some boa yarn for some of Rick Z's boa yarn leeches.
    Any help would be great.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

#6 bead chain Clouser minnows in chartreuse/white, pink/white, chartreuse/pink, chartreuse/yellow, black/chartreuse....

Rick's furled mohair leech in a size 12 has caught me a lot of crappies and gills

I tried something different this summer. Picked up some #10 Matzuo sickle jig hooks and made some "fly rod crappie jigs". Built up a thread dam right at the kink in the hook to keep the bead from moving, bead, hackle fibers or marabou tail, chenille body. Simple, effective. I fish em with my glass 5wt, under a strike indicator... Just like a jig and bobber combo.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Do a search on this FAOL site for Al Campbell's "Crappie Candy". He named it well and it is my favorite crappie fly.
    caribe

It has been several years since I have had an opportunity to target crappie but I had what I called a Chrome Bugger, white marabou tail, long shank hook with a layer of wire and wrapped with silver or silver holographic film and a grizzly or white hackle. Lots of flash, minnow like.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I've enjoyed my best luck with catching crappie when using a Carter's Sculphin tied in bright colors like chartruese over white or purple and white etc. I've also caught some very nice crapping using small minnow imitations tied on a size 8 2xl hook with polar fiber usually olive over chartruese over white and 3D plastic eyes. For bluegill, redears and pumpkinseeds my all time top producer is a simple black mohair leech tied on a size 10 2XL hook. I sometimes add a red plastic bead head if the water is stained. The mohair leech is a very simple fly to tie and catches fish like crazy.

Jim Smith

My favorites (which are very similar to everyone else's) are discussed here:
    http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2010/1...-patterns.html

The keys for crappies are often bright colors (especially chartruese) or flashy (gold seems just a bit better than silver in my experience, but both are good). Also, the pattern needs good movement in the water, such as a marabou tail. Also, a slow but somewhat erratic (twitches) retrieve is almost always a winner.

In addition to the patterns listed in the blog, I've done well at times with the Myakka Minnow pattern:

And also with Ward Bean's Jointed Minnow:
    (pattern here: http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns3.asp?page=32 )
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I love crappie on the fly. Slew them last year on Clouser types in 4 and 6. I'm twisting up a bunch now for the spring. I go with larger sizes because of the bass, cats, and saugeyes that get mixed in. Throw them with a 7 wt in the sticks and usually manage to get some good 12-14" fish. These are just a few of the few dozen that will hit the water in a couple months. My fish pics are too large to post, but we did have some good fish fries. These ties may be ugly, but they get the job done and I don't cry when I break them off.

IMG_0013.jpg

fr8dog...nothing wrong with your Clousers...they look FINE.
    I've done well with craft fur Clousers and microjigs, for crappies up to 14".

In the Spring at a local reservoir, we've done well over the years with larger jigs (with spinning gear)...like 3" Kalin's twister tails on 1/8 oz jigheads. I've been thinking similarly-sized Clousers would be a good pattern to try for these 12"-14" crappies, but the last several years have seen the reservoir flooded during the spawning period, and I haven't been able to access our usual spots from shore....so I haven't been able to try it.
    Here's a picture of one of the 14" crappies, you can sort of see the jig through the side of its mouth:
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Nice crappie! Makes me hungry...

+ Reply to Thread