+ Reply to Thread

Thread: shorb loop and loop to loop connection

Default shorb loop and loop to loop connection

I like the furled leader concept. I have a heck of a time changing out the tippet from the fur;ed ;eader shorb loop. I typically use a perfection type loop on one end of the tippet and connect the furled leader shorb loop and tippet with a loop to loop connection.

Any suggestions????

There shouldn't be a problem doing it that way. I do the same only I use a double surgeon's overhand knot. I seem to recall having a little trouble at first when I was making the Shorbs too small.

I guess I wasn't very clear. My problem is that the perfection loop - once pulled snug into the Shorb loop, is embedded in the furled part of the shorb loop and it is difficult to then get them apart. They don't want to seperate so, it is hard to change the tippet

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoman View Post
    I guess I wasn't very clear. My problem is that the perfection loop - once pulled snug into the Shorb loop, is embedded in the furled part of the shorb loop and it is difficult to then get them apart. They don't want to seperate so, it is hard to change the tippet
    First, I also use a double surgeon's loop on my tippet as Ducksterman stated.
    How are you doing your loop to loop? I pass the shorb loop through my tippet loop, then the tippet tag end through the shorb loop, creating a "handshake" connection which can be backed out fairly easily. If you pass the tippet loop through the shorb loop & then the tippet tag back through the TIPPET loop, you'll play h*ll getting it out as it will just be the tippet cinched onto the very end of the shorb loop.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

I do it as ohiotuber does, and have not had a problem in the three years I have been using furled leaders with Shorb loops.

Since I bought a "Knit Picker" while at JoAnn Fabrics, I have not had any problems with the Shorb Loop.

"Knit Picker" cost less than $2.00. ~Parnelli

For my furled leaders I use "Mercersed Cotton Thread", it is very strong and sturdy. Is available in verious diameters. I usually purchase white thread and then dip the finished furled leader in a cup of colored dye. Since most of my fishing waters are either slightly green with algue particles, or reddish brown for marsh material staining the water, those are my two colors that I normally use.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Orthoman,

Your problem is probably because I make my shorb loops small and I am the one who made your furled leaders. Sorry....

I always make the smallest shorb loop possible because just because. It is just something I do. Here is a suggestion for you to try and I have never tried it, yet, but I may just to see how it works out. You might take a short length of fluorocarbon in 4 pound test and have a perfection/surgeon loop made in each end of it. Much like the mono section most use on the end of their fly line only much shorter like maybe 2 inches. I do not feel this will affect the turn-over of the furled leader and may make removing the tippet easier for you. A lot of people put a round metal ring on the tippet end of their furled leaders and this works great, but, I just do not like the round metal rings.

Give the short fluorocarbon link a try and let me/us know how it worked.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread