+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus protection software for Apple computers

Question Virus protection software for Apple computers

My wife and I took the plunge and bought an iMac. Was wondering what the Apple users out there are using for virus protection software and since I am asking how about spy and malware as well?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

TyroneFly,

Our phone, high speed internet and Cable TV is all in one bundle offered locally here and their internet protection is included in the bundle. They use F-Secure services and I received an e-mail from our provider today stating that they have worked out a deal with F-Secure to offer protection to those who have a Mac. I do not have Mac but I have never had any problems with our internet with our provider using F-Secure. I have "linked" you to F-Secure in case you want to see what they have and if it will do what you want. I have no connection with F-Secure. I just know that my provider uses them and I have had no problems with a virus.

http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_gb/home
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Nothing.. running over five years no problems... Ran a pC for ten years + to many problems to count , virus updates $$$$ ,ect ... ( likely only me, don't want to start a war here... ) I am told PC's are much better these days

Nobody should have to pay for Anti virus protection any longer. Many ISP's offer the service, and for M$ users, they offer Forefront which is better than most other Anti-Virus solutions out there.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Blog Entries

I use Norton for Mac. Comcast provides it free as part of your internet service. It covers malware and such, too. Check with your internet provider. They may have something for you free of charge.

I don't know if it is the OS or if the code in the Mac version is actually tighter but the Norton does not seem to load the processor down on the Mac like it always did on Windows based machines for me. I'm quite happy with it.

I have use MacAfee for Mac and do not like it. It loaded the processor and was continually getting in the way. Bit Defender is OK. ClamXAV is free and well liked. That is what I was using before I loaded MacAfee.

There are others, but these are he ones I have used.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Comcast offers free Norton to its subscribers which I take advantage of for my pc, but read on some of the Apple forums to stay clear of Norton for Apple computers. Why is that? Most of the sales people at the Apple store tell me not to go to the trouble with the anti virus software because a virus attack is rare and that Apple will fix any issues that come up. I can't help but think at some point Apple will be targeted for more hits. I appreciate the replies and checkout further the recommendations given.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

I used to be in the camp of "don't bother." I had no problems at all without it. However, while I was in charge of an all Mac network a few years back, a bunch of our customers were getting hit with virus laden emails from our Customer Service Team. It appears one of our vendors sent us an infected Word document that we in turn passed on to customers. It never gave us any fits but sure ticked off a bunch of customers. We started running AV software right away to protect our customers and therefore ourselves.

There are fewer than 50, last I heard, viruses in the wild for Macs at this time. The chances of you having problems are quite low. If you have AV software available to you use it to protect your friends and contacts from viruses that you may pass on if nothing else.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    I used to be in the camp of "don't bother." I had no problems at all without it. However, while I was in charge of an all Mac network a few years back, a bunch of our customers were getting hit with virus laden emails from our Customer Service Team. It appears one of our vendors sent us an infected Word document that we in turn passed on to customers. It never gave us any fits but sure ticked off a bunch of customers. We started running AV software right away to protect our customers and therefore ourselves.

There are fewer than 50, last I heard, viruses in the wild for Macs at this time. The chances of you having problems are quite low. If you have AV software available to you use it to protect your friends and contacts from viruses that you may pass on if nothing else.
    The more I think about it the more I think I will error on the side of caution and go with an AV SW. Since Comcast make available Norton for free to its customer and I have been pleased with it using it on my MS based pc I think that the route I'll go.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Anyone besides me use AVG the free version?
    Wyo-Blizzard

http://www.macviruses.net/2011/06/li...n-mac-viruses/

Make your own choices..............
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

+ Reply to Thread