+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question ...

Hybrid View

Default Question ...

Noticed this past week, that the trout in the State Parks, AKA hatchery trout, have more slime on them, and smell "fishier", than fresh water trout. Anyone know a reason behind this?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Gees, Betty, I'm getting worried about you. Aren't you getting just a wee bit close to those fish? HA! HA!
    Bruce

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

It's a new additive we've been trying out that is introduced into the water as we upload the fish into our tanker trucks, to help the fish slide through the stocking pipes of our trucks without getting stuck. Since the budget cuts we've had to cut back like most other agencies, so we can no longer re-apply the Teflon coating to the stocking pipes. Maybe you've noticed another refinement we've added over the years, rounded fins and tails, this too was done in an effort to help the fish exit the tanker without getting stuck and clogging the pipe. The new additive is basically a non-inflammatory non-stick formula, much like PAM. The upside is, when you go to cook them, you won't need to add oil to the pan.

Ya' it's kind of a slow day around here....couldn't help myself
    Someone must have the real answer, sure isn't me.
    Best, Dave
    Last edited by Dave E; 10-15-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Wow Dave.......That was...........AWESOME!!!! I posted a lie on another board and it took me 6 paragraphs or so for the whole story. You did it in one!!!!! Again, AWESOME sir. I tip my hat to you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Wow Dave.......That was...........AWESOME!!!! I posted a lie on another board and it took me 6 paragraphs or so for the whole story. You did it in one!!!!! Again, AWESOME sir. I tip my hat to you!
    Heck of it is, I was believing him! I must agree. Awesome fish tail.

I was thinking that Betty was imagining things myself. Never seen that up here.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Sadly, I was taken in ... it sounded pretty good ... till the rounded fins, and the teflon coating. <note to self: NEVER, EVER believe ANYTHING Dave E tells me>

I have to release the trouts from my flies, Bruce!! Plus, the car gets this REALLY funky odor when you put a catch net in it. Even after washing it out really well, OK, so I washed it in river water, but darn! What a fishy smell!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

He actually had me going too up intill the fins

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Plus, the car gets this REALLY funky odor when you put a catch net in it. Even after washing it out really well, OK, so I washed it in river water, but darn! What a fishy smell!!!
    Of course it smells fishy! THEY ARE FISH! It ain't gonna smell like chickens. Quit wearing the fish net for a hair net and it probably wouldn't smell so strong. Geeze! Sometimes I worry about you almost as much as I worry about Goduster. But it's a constant thing with him. Old age and dementia, you understand.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Sadly, I was taken in ... it sounded pretty good ... till the rounded fins, and the teflon coating. <note to self: NEVER, EVER believe ANYTHING Dave E tells me>

I have to release the trouts from my flies, Bruce!! Plus, the car gets this REALLY funky odor when you put a catch net in it. Even after washing it out really well, OK, so I washed it in river water, but darn! What a fishy smell!!!
    That is yet ANOTHER reason to pursue all-natural Lakota Spotted Chubs in the Black Hills. Being native, non-hatchery fish, they are neither slimy nor smelly. Clearly Lakota Spotted Chubs are FAR MORE DESIRABLE THAN TROUT(S) !!!. (Thank goodness Tennessee has NO LSCs.)

Cheers to ya' Darlin' Betty.

Ed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    It's a new additive we've been trying out that is introduced into the water as we upload the fish into our tanker trucks, to help the fish slide through the stocking pipes of our trucks without getting stuck. Since the budget cuts we've had to cut back like most other agencies, so we can no longer re-apply the Teflon coating to the stocking pipes. Maybe you've noticed another refinement we've added over the years, rounded fins and tails, this too was done in an effort to help the fish exit the tanker without getting stuck and clogging the pipe. The new additive is basically a non-inflammatory non-stick formula, much like PAM. The upside is, when you go to cook them, you won't need to add oil to the pan.

Ya' it's kind of a slow day around here....couldn't help myself
    Someone must have the real answer, sure isn't me.
    Best, Dave
    Too bad you did not hear about the "Slick-'em" used in the TransAlaska Pipeline back in the good old days. The pipeline was designed for a million barrels a day but at the production peak they were forcing 1.6 million barrels per day through the straw. They used a giant booger to do it. The elastic stuff stretched from Prudhoe Bay to Valdez, over 600 miles, and acted like straightening vanes which reduced turbulance and allowed more oil to shoulder through.

Sadly, the line is now down to the bottom end of the spectrum and literally has just barely enough throughput to keep the oil warm enough to make it to Valdez... about 30% of design volume...

Sorry for the sidetrack, just thought conversations about slime should include booger references...

Oh, I would guess water quality based on pH, dissolved organics, algae, sediments, and a a lot of other things about each lake or waterway would determine what the fish smell like. As a kid there was a local lake which has been used as a settlement pond for a roadway. The trout were HUGE! But tasting strongly of hydrocarbons, they would drive you out of the house when you tried to cook them. It literally was my introduction to C&R, though.

+ Reply to Thread