+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Double Hooks for Steelhead/Salmon

Hybrid View

Default Double Hooks for Steelhead/Salmon

I have been browsing through various sites with Steelhead and Sea-run Cut-throat patterns,
    all very interesting, and was doing some comparisons with our own Sea-trout patterns.
    I wondered if double-hooks are used much by the USA/Canada fly dressers?
    They are used quite a lot here for Salmon/Sea-trout and Loch patterns.
    The 'wee' double is very popular.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Donald,
    Not wishing to speak for all of us on this side of the pond, (Any one can jump in here) but if you mean double-hooks like in your Silver Ghost; I haven't seen any patterns or anyone using a double-hook fly. But I fish in rivers off Lake (Loch) Erie. Maybe someone on the West or East coasts will reply.

I was trying to find an article I had read about historical patterns to post (link) here, but could not find. It was about Stealhead patterns from the '50's that had a double-hook. But the hook was not side by side, but in a straight line on the same shaft about 37 to 50mm (1 1/2 to 2 inches) seperation. And even for that type of pattern I too am having difficulty finding an example. Or, for that matter, that type of hook in production.

By the way, fantastic web-site. I forgot I already had it saved in my favorite web-site.
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

That is the hook, side by side, here is a picture -

This type of hook is easily available on this side of the pond.

Last edited by Donald Nicolson; 10-15-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Donald,

Don't know about other places, but locally we are only allowed single hooks for steelhead and salmon fishing to promote catch and release fishing. Makes some sense for steelhead which return to the sea after spawning, but our Pacific salmon die after spawning. Maybe the catch and release helps raise the spawning salmon numbers.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

Ree
    Not sure about WA, but coho are notoriously delicate and do not do well in C&R situations. New law in the Kenai River says you may not remove a C&R coho from the water. Kill it or release but leave it underwater while you decide. I found dead cohos a number of times that had obviously been stressed and released (intentionally or not) only to die.

I think a real problem with them is the way they roll when hooked, often zipping their lips together and impeding water circulation across the gills.

Sorry about the tangential posting!

Oh, I was given a box of double hooks by a friend so I could tie some presentation steelhead flies for display, just have not gotten around to it. Not wild about using them on fish though.
    art

I've only limited experience (also around Lake Erie). All of the flies I have used were single hook.

There does not seem to be the negative attitudes towards double or even treble hooks here.
    All the same, a lot of anglers do prefer to use singles. I can understand now why there were no
    doubles on the North American patterns I looked at. I think I prefer the look of singles, especially
    low water singles, very elegant hooks. I like the Partridge YK12ST for the #10 & 8 size flies.
    They are actually meant to be a caddis hook. I dress a lot of my flies purely for the aesthetic look
    of the fly. Apart from copying what might look like food to the fish, a large number of the flies that
    fish take are pure attractors, and not having the eyes of a fish, I tie for my own appreciation.

Last edited by Donald Nicolson; 10-15-2011 at 07:24 PM.

+ Reply to Thread