+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waxing ferrules

Hybrid View

Default Waxing ferrules

Wanted to ask you all a quick questions about waxing ferrules. I've read parafin was can be used. How much should be applied? Where can I get some. Is there something better that I could use. I've never practiced this type of application before, but after having to send a rod off to get fixed because I (and 6 other people) could not get it to come apart at one of the sections, I feel I need to do something so this won't happen again.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Blog Entries

White unscented candles are made of paraffin, if you want to buy a 10 life time supply you can get it in most home canning departments, they use it for the top of jelly jars (at least they used to) after you take some for your rods you can make great fire starters from the rest by putting dryer lint into cardboard egg cartons then pouring melted paraffin wax over the lint in the cartons.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

A really neat version of your firestarters can be made by soaking little cut up squares of Celotex ceiling tiles in the melted wax.
    Just a little one inch square does a good job. These are a Boy Scout standard for rainy days and are convenient to carry.

here's a couple of videos re ferrule dressing and stuck rods, it may be informative
    http://www.murraysflyshop.com/webvids/rodapart.html
    http://www.murraysflyshop.com/webvids/frldrsg.html
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pillcaster View Post
    here's a couple of videos re ferrule dressing and stuck rods, it may be informative
    http://www.murraysflyshop.com/webvids/rodapart.html
    http://www.murraysflyshop.com/webvids/frldrsg.html
    I will keep that method for separating ferrules in mind. I do know a lot of guys, including myself, that do not always have someone with them, though.

I'm not sure about the lubrication, though. He talks about doing this every 6th time he goes fishing but doesn't say anything about cleaning the ferrules ever. If you are going to lubricate, you have to clean. Most folks don't clean. If you doubt me, watch your buddies tear the gear down. Do they clean anything before putting it away? Once it is put away, it is unlikely that it will be pulled out to clean it.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Greg,

I used to have an old Sage RPL 4 piece rod that had a habit of separating at one ferrule after I fished it for a while. I started carryng a birthday candle in my fishing fanny pack and I would wax that ferrule before I started fishing. The problem went away completely and it never separated again, even after casting/fishing all day long. Simple solution but it worked great for me...

Jim Smith

Eric and James, thank you both. With three kids in the house finding a birthday candle should be very easy. I also like the idea of making fire starters with the paraffin. Thanks again for your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by gqualls View Post
    Eric and James, thank you both. With three kids in the house finding a birthday candle should be very easy. I also like the idea of making fire starters with the paraffin. Thanks again for your insight.
    ditto! I was watching this thread for the answers. Thanks folks.

Blog Entries

I hear about all this waxing and oiling and such for ferrules and it is the dead wrong thing to do. I do not give a rat's rectum what you have done for the last hundred years, if you have been waxing or oiling a ferrule, you have been doing it WRONG. The wax and oil attract DIRT. DIRT is what has caused that ferrule to stick. This is nothing more than plain old Common Sense. Here is how to fix it.

First, you CAN get the ferrule apart. Hold the rod behind your knees with one hand on each side of your legs right next to your knees. Spread your knees apart. The ferrule will pop loose. Your legs will give you the extra oomph to separate the ferrules.

Now. take a drill bit that is smaller than the inside of the female ferrule. Wrap it loosely with 0000 steel wool and dip the works in a touch of mineral spirits. Now insert that into the female ferrule and gently twist it around a bit. It doesn't take much. Remove that and clean out the residue with a cotton swab. Wipe the male ferrule off with mineral spirits and dry it off. DO NOT apply anymore wax to gather more dirt. The ferrule should fit like new and separate with a nice "pop."

The only time it makes any sense at all to wax a ferrule is when it is loose. The wax will provide a temporary and artificial "fit" that will need to be cleaned off and re applied occasionally. The proper thing to do when ferrules get loose is to have your handy dandy rod repair guy fit new ferrules for you.

If you want to wax your ferrules and trap more dirt in the wax to wear them out faster and make them stick again, go ahead.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Kevin,

I understand how you can fit new ferrules on a bamboo rod, but, do not know how you would do it on a graphite rod. Could you explain that process. Everything you explained above is what I have been told to do with metal ferrules on a bamboo rod and I know some graphite rod manufacturers not only recommend waxing but also include ferrule wax with the purchase and most fly shops sell ferrule wax.

I guess I am just confused.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread