+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rockport, Texas: 3rd Week in October

Default Rockport, Texas: 3rd Week in October

Going to Rockport 3rd week of Oct to fly fish the bay. Anyone have any ideas on flys I need, spots I need to fish or just general helpful tips?

If you want to go on a guided trip these two guys are great.

www.texasflatsflyfishing.com
    www.captaintomhorbey.com

texfly: Great minds must think alike. Eric is 'My Main Man' and that is whom I am booked with. Will let ya know how it comes out.

Yeah , he's just a cool guy. Even if the fishing gets a little slow you'll have a good time. Make sure and let us know how it goes. The winds have been light and the weather has been just beautiful. Good luck!

Mark, If you have access to a lighted pier, you might was to do a little night fishing whiile your down there. Last Fridaynight, I was fishing off the end of my BrotherInLaw's pier and hammered the speckled trout (most small) on some small (size 6 and bead eye clousers, all white, sparsely tied with a little flash. In an hour and a half of fishing, I don't think I made more than two or three casts in a row with out a strike. The only mistake I made was letting a little breeze bluff me out, thinking it was going to pick up later in the evening, I picked up my 8 wt instead of my 5 wt, which I think would have been perfect on fish that size.
    I woke up about 3 am and could hear what sounded like better trout popping under the lights but, since I was going to be hitting the road in a couple of hours, I decided to leave them be. Let us know how you do.
    Chris

Animal Chris: Thanks! I will take my 6 wt and clousers. I can fish from KonTiki's lighted pier.

One more thing Mark , keep an eye out for the red tide. Its scored about three million fish kills already this season. The drought which makes for low fresh water amounts and high water temps has got going pretty good this year. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread