+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One Amazing Day

Default One Amazing Day

I went trout fishing out in the kayak today using the Yamame from TenkaraUSA. To say I had a good day would be a total understatement. The fishing was off the charts. In about three and a half hours I caught 62 rainbows on just one fly. That poor fly was badly battered toward the end but the trout just kept on loving it and clobbering it again and again. The fish were literally jumping on the fly, if one fish missed it an lot of times one or even two more would hit it. If I would have landed every fish that hit I probably would have caught 120 or more. The whole experience was just unbelievable.

Your words of excitement make it very believable , sounds like one heck of a great time..

Photos man we need photos.... lol

Be safe..
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

I took no photos.....catching that many fish took up all my time; what with fighting them, netting them, unhooking and recasting who had time??????..........
    My fishing partner did take some pics. I'll post them when I get them.
    I have never had a day of trout fishing even remotely as good as yesterday. I believe had I not been using a tenkara rod I wouldn't have caught as many fish because a tenkara rod is so much more efficient and simpler than ordinary fly tackle the whole process of cast, catch and release went faster. A few of those fish were fatally hooked so I kept those and gave them to some people who really appreciated them.

Although tenkara is more about the technique than the fly, I would like to know what fly you used.
    Tenkara Bum

Sounds awesome! I really need to try this for bluegill out of my tube.

I used a bully spider which is a sinking fly with lead wire in the body. Since the trout were feeding high in the water colum this fly should have sunk beneath the feeding zone but there was a pretty good breeze going on and the fish were downwind of my anchored kayak so I held the rod high so the wind could catch the line thus the fly stayed right where the trout wanted it.
    I also should say that I was fishing small lake that was very heavily stocked with trout.

Deathb4disco,
    You really need to try tenkara from a tube. It's a hoot!

I finally got some pictures to post. I'm still grinning every time I think about it.
    DaveKleinCrystalCove20thtrout101111.jpgDaveKleinCrystalCovetrout101111.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cycler68 View Post
    Deathb4disco,
    You really need to try tenkara from a tube. It's a hoot!
    I tried it for the first time this past weekend. Saturday was beautiful, so I decided to hit one of my favorite bluegill ponds. I took a UL spinning rod and my version of a tenkara rod. (I have an 18' hera rod but thought that was a little long for tubing. Since I don't own an actual tenkara rod, I opted for a 12' BnM graphite Little Jewel as a substitute.)

I started out with my tenkara set up rigged with a 4# flouro leader and a black rubber-legged dragon. I quickly caught four nice-sized gills. I had forgotten how much fun it was to play one without a reel. I was a little worried that landing the fish would be difficult with that size rod, but it was easy. I switched between the UL spin and the tenkara throughout the day. Very fun!

Yesterday I went out again with the Yamame to see if catching 62 trout in one day was a fluke or not. The conditions were a little worse, more wind and colder but the trout were still eager to strike. I stopped at 10 -15 trout (I didn't keep track them) and 7 bluegill. In conclusion I have to say Nope, tenkara from a kayak is one deadly way to catch trout, at least the stockers.

+ Reply to Thread