Thread: Parting shots

Threaded View

Default Parting shots

Sturm, Ruger & Co. Bought this one in 1978 with the help of my dad. It was the first hunting rifle I bought and the father/son thing makes it extra special too. Model 77R (Round Top) chambered in .30-06 Springfield. I have it topped with a Bushnell 4x-12x, 40mm adjustable parallax scope.

and my small game/varmint rifle is a Savage Arms .17HMR topped with a Simmons 3x-9x 40mm scope

Both rifles are literally tack drivers at 100 yards. That is the range I site them in at as that is the average shooting distance in our area. Most shots are in wooded areas and actually within 50 yards.

When I was a youngster I killed my first buck with that Ruger. I wrote a letter of thanks to Bill Ruger for producing such a fine firearm. Never expected anything in return but one day mom handed me a package that wouldn't fit in the mail box. In it were several magazines with Ruger articles in them, a bumper sticker for dad's truck, a huge Ruger Firearms shoulder patch and most precious to me a hand written letter of thanks and congratulations from Bill Ruger himself!

To this day Ruger and Savage both stand behind their products 100%. Ruger especially is notorious for not charging for repairs no matter what the age of the firearm.

It is a lot easier for me to absorb the recoil of the rifle than it is to stand casting a fly for even an hour. The back is getting so bad that they are sending me to a spine institute so I suppose even my days on the range are going to be very limited. My time on this board will become even more scarce as my condition is now affecting my arms and hands. It is getting difficult to type with pain and numbness in both arms and hands.

I will continue to offer prayers for all here on this board even if I cannot post that much anymore. I am hoping the new team of doctors can help. they are really upbeat and optimistic. I am trying to stay optimistic myself. I figure if I can even do a little bench shooting that is better than being stuck indoors. Amy says it is working wonders for my attitude. Once again I owe some thanks to William Batterman Ruger.
    Last edited by Nighthawk; 10-11-2011 at 05:51 PM.