"How many people are looking for the most difficult, time consuming, and expensive way to relax and have fun?"

How many people hunt mountain goats in remote locations at great expense when there is much more tender less expensive meat grazing in the field next door? But wouldn't you rather read about stalking game in the mountains than read about cutting cows out of the local herd? If I want to make a living as an outdoors author, which subject should I write about?

Once you start thinking about it, how many questions like this can you come up with?

I guess my point is that fly fishing fulfills different needs for different people. An article here a while ago pointed out that fly fishers fell into three broad categories-recreational, commercial, and competitive. There is overlap between categories also-a classic 3 Set Venn Diagram.

[img]http://mathworld.wolfram.com/images/...iagram_900.gif[/img]

I have to think that beginners fall into the same three buckets. So the real trick is figuring out what kind of beginner we are looking at. Are we making it too complicated or too simple?