YES! EXACTLY! Well said.
You've got to show folks that fly-fishing is effective at catching fish...even MORE effective or versatile in many situations than SPINNING GEAR!
I was in the same situation at one time. I tried fly-fishing on my own, caught fish, it was fun....but I decided I could catch fish more efficiently with spinning gear, so I put the fly rod away for a number of years.
We moved to a new place, new places to fish. I discovered that my spinning gear was inadequate to the way the FISH wanted a (fake) food item presented. I could tell what they wanted, I just struggled to be able to do it. So, I saw a sale on St. Croix fly rods at Cabela's, and decided I would "upgrade" my old combo, and really give fly-fishing a serious effort once again. I did, and I'm SO GLAD! I still use spinning gear from time to time, but fly-fishing is my choice whenever possible, and makes up 75% of my fishing.
One thing I'd add about casting. Folks see a fly-fisherman casting and think it looks complicated. They need to understand it LOOKS different because with fly gear the weight of the LINE carries the fly to the water, whereas with spinning gear the weight of the lure carries the line to the water. The goal is the same, getting your artificial "lure" to the spot you've chosen to cast to...with the end result of catching a fish.
Even if not all of us remember our own childhood clearly, we've at leasted watched young children learn to cast. They aren't good at it at first, but they soon "get it". Fly-fishing is the same. Anybody can do it with just a little practice up-front.

Its a constant struggle. On our local fishing club's website, I've been posting reports for YEARS, trying to show folks how effective and fun fly-fishing IS. Not CAN BE, but IS. It isn't a "just for trout" specialized technique. It is effective for just about ANY species you wish to pursue. I started posting the reports as I was really just beginning to learn, to show that you don't need to miraculously be an instant PRO at fly casting...you just need to get out there and chase fish with it. I did get at least a few people to start fly-fishing or fly-fish more often, but there's still a lot of anglers in the club that HAVE the gear but don't want to use it. I guess they need to make up their mind to fly-fish on their own, at their own time. I continue to post the reports there as food for their thoughts to chew on.