Thread: ARE WE MAKING FLY FISHING TOO DIFFICULT FOR BEGINNERS? - Readers Cast - Oct 10, 2011

Threaded View

Most if not all fly rods manufactured in the last 20 years are good fly rods for fishing. The trouble with the casting all starts with the handle grip that was placed on the fly rods by the manufacturer's...

If the handle grip is too small of a diameter for someone with larger hand grip diameter, trying to cast that fly rod will cause the action of the fly rod to slow down and be sluggish, because the muscles and tendons in he casting arm are taunt. Been there, done that, and is slowed down my fly casting until I realize that the problem was with the handle grip and not my casting.

I learned the hard way, losing a year and half of fly fishing to tendinitis from casting with a handle grip that was too small and not the correct shape for my hand grip shape and hand grip diamenter....

Don't just place any fly rod in the beginner fly caster's hand, place the fly rod with the correct hand grip diameter. They will learn quickly when they have the right equipment to practice their casting....

My hand grip is 1-18 inch diameter with a cigar front and half well rear.... I can even cast my 8 weight all day without muscle or tendon straining.... No matter the weight of the fly rod all of my fly rods now have the correct handle grip for my casting....Ken Morrow, AFFI of Adaptive Fly Fishing Institute asked permission to use my "Custom Grip" article.
    Back in April 2009. I said "Yes, no charge!" ~Parnelli

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...customgrip.php

~Parnelli.
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 02-15-2012 at 04:13 AM.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli