Thread: ARE WE MAKING FLY FISHING TOO DIFFICULT FOR BEGINNERS? - Readers Cast - Oct 10, 2011

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by CM_Stewart View Post
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but the last two posters before pszy22 are taking us back to the practice, casting lessons, guide, expensive route. Seriously, try a tenkara rod as pszy22 suggested. It just makes it so much easier.
    No, I wasn't pushing the more expensive route. My point is that it takes commitment and delaying instant gratification. I haven't tried Tenkara, but I would and not because you sound like a paid spokesman. On the coast, I don't think Tenkara is a viable option. Getting to secluded, low-pressured water takes a commitment which I feel is lacking in a lot of people.

Tenkara may exemplify the beauty and simplicity of fly fishing, but I don't think it will be the next reintroduced thing to bring lots of new people to the sport.

To address the question directly, no, I don't think "we" have made fly fishing too difficult for beginners. There is something for every person who would like to take the leap. From Tenkara to bamboo to high-end graphite to chasing tarpon, there is something for everyone who is interested in fishing. There is a learning curve to all of it and the beauty of the sport is that there are so many aspects to it and so many species that can be pursued.

I believe some beginners never get there because they defeat themselves by doing too much internet research and overwhelm themselves. I believe so just don't want to get off the couch or they use any number of excuses not to try.

Fly fishing is like reading a book, you can stick to comic books or read Thoreau or anything in between, but until you stop making excuses about why you can't or don't have the time, you'll never get there.

Its as complicated or as easy as you make it, beginner or experienced.
    Last edited by Doug Poudre; 11-07-2011 at 12:23 PM.