+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: ARE WE MAKING FLY FISHING TOO DIFFICULT FOR BEGINNERS? - Readers Cast - Oct 10, 2011

Lightbulb Like most everything in fly angling, it depends...

... on the situation the new student angler is in.

I wouldn't for a moment consider teaching someone to fly fish on the South Fork of the Snake starting with a Tenkara outfit.

But on Birch Creek, Tenkara would be a great way to get some one started with several advantages over conventional fly angling gear.

Just two of so many examples that would illustrate the point - that it depends. Of course, in either the case, the teacher should be reasonably competent in using both approaches.

John
    The fish are always right.

After twenty years of refusing to use the word 'casting' when teaching fly rod students. ( been teaching for over forty years) The feeling of vindication for all the dismissive and snubbing received because of my perceived radical approach to instruction is finely becoming main stream. More to the point were did I learn it from, simple from the most knowledgeable source available to anyone who wishes to learn, the students. I can teach a thousand ways but if the pupil does not understand I am who failed. Capt. Paul Darby
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    David,

In regards to fly casting.....I have worked hard to try and explain to beginners just how to use a fly rod in casting and have not been happy with the way I was trying to explain the technique to beginners. I never was happy with my explanation.

Well, that has changed after attending the Troutfest in Townsend last spring. Lefty Kreh was putting on a casting demo and he made a statement that I had never thought about and it has made teaching fly casting a whole lot easier and seems to help the beginner to understand more of what they are attempting to do. Lefty stated that with a spinning rod or casting rod, you cast the lure. He stated that you do not cast a fly rod. What you really do is unroll fly line. I have thought about this a lot and what he said makes it a lot easier for beginners to understand. They can see the fly line unrolling and have a better understanding. When they work on unrolling the fly line, it helps them to slow down their stroke and they concentrate on making the fly line unroll. Think about it. You cannot "see" a cast but you can see if you are allowing the fly line to unroll and it is a lot easier to work on unrolling because you can "see" it. I have improved my "style" with a fly rod by remembering to slow down my stroke and allowing the fly line to unroll behind me and in front of me.

I really feel it has helped me and I know it makes it a lot easier to explain to beginners and they do a lot better at presenting the fly.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

I tried but was too intimidated by everything I "needed to know" now I am getting ready to try again but hopefully with a mentor.

Before you have another go at it, it might be worth while to make sure you have a balanced outfit -- that is, that the line you have matches up with the rod you have and the same for your line and leader. Also, that the fly or bug that you will practice with is not more than your rod can handle. If you don't come up with mentor, a visit to a fly shop for advice should suffice.

Hookedintheear,

Not sure where you are in Kentucky, but, if you find your way to the Duck River (below Normandy Lake Dam) or the Elk River (below Tim's Ford Lake), give me a PM and I will be happy to meet you and help you in any way I can.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks! If I get down that way I will contact you!

Most if not all fly rods manufactured in the last 20 years are good fly rods for fishing. The trouble with the casting all starts with the handle grip that was placed on the fly rods by the manufacturer's...

If the handle grip is too small of a diameter for someone with larger hand grip diameter, trying to cast that fly rod will cause the action of the fly rod to slow down and be sluggish, because the muscles and tendons in he casting arm are taunt. Been there, done that, and is slowed down my fly casting until I realize that the problem was with the handle grip and not my casting.

I learned the hard way, losing a year and half of fly fishing to tendinitis from casting with a handle grip that was too small and not the correct shape for my hand grip shape and hand grip diamenter....

Don't just place any fly rod in the beginner fly caster's hand, place the fly rod with the correct hand grip diameter. They will learn quickly when they have the right equipment to practice their casting....

My hand grip is 1-18 inch diameter with a cigar front and half well rear.... I can even cast my 8 weight all day without muscle or tendon straining.... No matter the weight of the fly rod all of my fly rods now have the correct handle grip for my casting....Ken Morrow, AFFI of Adaptive Fly Fishing Institute asked permission to use my "Custom Grip" article.
    Back in April 2009. I said "Yes, no charge!" ~Parnelli

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...customgrip.php

~Parnelli.
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 02-15-2012 at 04:13 AM.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

I might as well chime in.I am 62 years old.I have taken up this hobby or life for 3 years now.It soothes my mind.I need that.It is not a full time venue but I can steal a moment to tie,read,cast at the pond,hopefully build a rod or two.furl and experience thru you guys.And that I am thankful.As for being difficult,not for me.At my age, I only take one thing at a time.It is the moment that is important.Thank you all for allowing me to enjoy it thru you.Ray

Hey, rayhill190, age 62 is a great time to be fishing and tying. I have 20 years on you, and can testify that the sport only gets better, with new stuff coming along all the time. I had knee problems in my late 70s, but a couple of replacements have me scrambling up and down creek banks and wading again. Not like a kid, but 'twill suffice.

Paul,thanks for the post.Made me smile.Ray

+ Reply to Thread