+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Run in with a musky

Hybrid View

Default First Run in with a musky

I've been musky fishing for a while, so I guess it wasn't my first, but the first on the fly. We decided to go out yesterday and give it a good try.

We got out there and started fishing. It wasn't long and we saw one. It wasn't following a our fly, but it was close to a 50" fish just hanging out next to the boat. That got my heart going!

We moved to a new spot after a little while. I decided to move to an area where we moved a fish the weekend before (throwing normal hardware). It wasn't real long before I looked down at my fly and holy crap! There was a low 40's" fish! Gills flaring and everything. I couldn't get it to eat but we moved that fish one more time that night. Man was it exciting!

Hopefully I can get out again next weekend.

It's always exciting when a big powerful fish like a musky follows your fly. I hope you get one of those bad boys before long!

Ive fly fished warm water for a looong time and in that time have only gotten 2 muskie. One was 6" and the other a little bigger...yes i mean inches...but i will say they took on a streamer much larger than themselves. I live near lake st clair and spend a considerable amount of time on it and have seen numerous muskie both caught and cruising. It is quite a predator to say the lease. Im still hoping to get a nice one on one day.

Ive heard of large muskie going after smallmouth and will even hang around a boat waiting for one to come in or get thrown back . When your the largest predator on the lake you have little to fear.

Next time try hooking a bluegill snak pack for it. lol

+ Reply to Thread