I have a Scientific Anglers System 2L 2/3 reel that I got with a Cabelas 1wt combo many years ago, and have fished on that 1wt (and its replacement) ever since. With only one spool, I never thought about using it on any other rods, although I have a short 3wt that would be a good match.

On my way to the Idaho fish-in, I stopped at Cabelas in Lehi, UT, and in my wanderings found myself in the bargain cave. On the shelf is an SA 2/3 extra spool with a price tag of $7.90 (retail is a little over 60). I think, Wow!, and pick it up, but quickly see that it has been dropped and is a little bent now. Sigh. Then I notice that on the peg behind it is another 2/3 spool, minus a price tag. I take a look at that one, and it appears to be flawless, aside from the mark scratched on the back of it to indicate it is a return. Spool appears to be unscratched, unbent, intact, all parts working... I take it to the counter, and show the man the two spools, point out one is bent but the other is not, and ask what the price on the unlabeled, apparently undamaged one is. Final answer, $7.90, which puts it in my basket.

After I got home from the fish-in two weeks later, I am cleaning out my car, and find this Cabelas bag with a spool in it. I set it aside, and the next time I use the 1wt, I tossed the old line and respooled it with a new 1wt line I had, and then got out a short 3wt line to put on the new spool, but before I spool it up I try it on the reel...

and it won't fit. I mike the inside of the bushing in the spool at .245, and the outside of the spindle on the reel at .250. Argh. I set it aside.

Couple nights later, I pick it up again and think about it. $8, no big loss, but I ought to be able to fix this. I mike it again, and this time it comes out .249, with the spindle still .250 (including lube). I can force the spool onto the spindle, but it won't turn freely, and it scrapes off all the lubricant. Discussion and thought ensue.

Today I had a few minutes free. My concerns were that if I didn't EXACTLY enlarge the hole, the spool wouldbe off-center and that is that. The bushing is bronze, so softer than the spindle, but how to open it up a thousanth or two? A drill bit seems kind of crude (what are the odds a hardware store bit is .250"?), even though I have a good press at work I can use. I settled on trying to wear it out with a rifle bore brush set in the drill press. I wanted to use a stainless brush, but all I have is bronze...

I tried that, for about ten minutes, after which no appreciable wear in the bushing has occurred, although it was sure nice and shiny. I calculated that it might take me all day to do this, and my lunch break was about over. So, I finally got out a drill bit and checked it. It would, with much scraping (like the spindle itself), juuuuuuuust fit in the bushing. So I stuck it in the drill press, set the spool under it, aligned it without the press turning, and then turned it on. One pass up and down, blow off the shavings, polish it with the bore brush again, and...

it worked like a charm. Cleaned and lubed the reel, put the new spool on, and it turns smoothly and evenly! Now all I have to do is guess, correctly, how much backing fits under an 80' DT3... and go fishing.

Don't let me try that again, tho.