+ Reply to Thread

Thread: San Antonio, TX area help needed please

Default San Antonio, TX area help needed please

I just got vacation approved from 5/25 through 6/4/12. My Bride, Colleen, & I haven't seen (other than via Skype) our Son, Daughter in Law & 3 Grandkids in over a year. I have fished with all of them & 5 1/2 year old Connor tells me he thinks he "will be a good fly fisher". Don't try to change my mind on this folks...I WILL either take an outfit down for him or buy it there. Probably the latter as they live near a Bass Pro in the San Antonio area & it would be fun outfitting him while he is with me. Heck, if reasonable enough, I may even get his Sisters started as well. Of course, the next step is breaking the gear in. Is any one here familiar with that area & spots (preferably ponds) where the kids can get into some decent 'gills? I'd also be more than happy to have one or more of you accompany us on a trip or few! I haven't been to that area since 1966 (pre 'Nam) & I'm bettin' there's little I would even recognize. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Tuber, Is your son in the service? If so Ft. Sam will have recreational facilities. Probably boats and or canoes for rent.
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/programs/familyfish/stateparks/
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Tuber, Is your son in the service? If so Ft. Sam will have recreational facilities. Probably boats and or canoes for rent.
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/programs/familyfish/stateparks/
    Jesse,
    No, although his job is related to military housing. I took my training at Ft Sam & I'm planning to take my Bride there to show her where the old guy spent some great times. I also used to supplement my Military pay with weekly trips to a pool hall at an old Hotel in San Antonio. If I found that place still around I would be FORCED to shoot a rack or 2 of straight pool and/or 9 ball, which were my passions back then.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Mike, the San Marcos and Comal rivers are just north of San Antonio. Good fishing. I use to fish them allot when I lived in the Austin area. You can catch smallmouth, trout and bluegill. I am sure some Texas folks will have other ideas for you.

We are heading to the Austin area the end of this month, but I doubt if I'll take a fly rod, since we'll be spending the majority of the time visiting old friends.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Are you a member of the Federation of Fly fishers, http://fedflyfishers.org ?

If so there is a Federation club in San Antonio, Alamo Fly Fishers (San Antonio) ; http://www.alamoflyfishers.org/ / info@alamoflyfishers.org

Rob Burlingame - robburlingame@yahoo.com, used to be their president.

In addition, I believe that the FFF's main office regularly "hooks up" Federators" who travel to other areas of the country with FFF clubs/individuals in those areas.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

You will be just a hop and a skip from the Guadalupe River, near New Braunsfels, just north of SA, and which is the only 'year-round' trout fishery in the state. There is plenty of public access along the river, from just below the dam, all the way to Gruene,Tx., a 'suburb' of New Braunsfels. The Comal River flows through New Braunsfels itself.

Satter Texas (just north of New Braunsfels) has rainbow trout, on the Guadalupe River.... that is where the 2002 FAOL Regional Fish-In was held. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/trav...2/parnelli.php

Large population of Germans, that emigrated in the early 1900's. Good German Food, and German Beer...

Further south of Satter, still on the Guadlupe River, you can fly fish for Striped Bass....
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread