Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 beginner's only fly swaps

Default 2012 Beginner's Only Fly Swaps

UPDATE: December 27th 2011:

TIME IS RUNNING OUT, 5 DAYS REMAINING TIL THE START OF THE 2012 BEGINNERS ONLY SWAPS...

The 2012 "Beginner's Only" Fly Swaps have been moved back to January 1st 2012. Time is running out...

There are now eight members who have joined, Peter Alandt from Webster TX has jus joined....

with only two seats remaining to be filled....

If any member of FAOL wishes to partake in these 4 swap, you must contact me by email parnelli@comcast.net so I can prepare and mail out the envelopes, Toe Tags, and FAOL "Fly Pattern CD to arrive before January 1st. ~Swapmeister Parnelli

Member #1: Michael Elkavitch
    Member #2: James Keepes
    Member #3: Scott Hemingway
    Member #4: Josh Caroon
    Member #5: Tom Snyder
    Member #6: Travis Dolence
    Member #7: Cory Ellis
    Member #8: Peter Alandt

There are still 2 opening remaining for the start of the 2012 Beginner's Only Swaps, please do not hesitate, as I have to prepare the package for mailing to each member of this swap. The 6 Members of the swap have already received their packages of pre-addressed envelopes, Toe-Tag sheet, cardboard shipment box, FAOL "Fly Pattern CD", and printout copy of soft hackle gauge from Sylvester Nemes book.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________

The first swap (Soft Hackle Wet Fly) starts on January 1st, 2012. Followed by the February Swap (Nymph Pattern), March Swap (Dry Fly Pattern), April Swap (Streamers or Salmon/Steelhead Patterns).

All fly must arrive before the last day of the Monthly Swaps, January Swap must be in my possession no later than January 31st 2012!

As Swapmeister of these "Beginner's Only Swaps" I have had over 300 members of FAOL, participate in these swaps. Guaranteed that if you are a Beginner to fly tying you will not be a Beginner after you have done these four swaps. These swaps are also open to anyone who has been tying fly patterns but have never participated in any fly swap.

I supply the box for shipping in the dressed fly patterns, and the "FROM and TO" Mailing Envelopes! I also supply each member with a FAOL Fly Pattern CD as well as printed "Toe Tags" for inserting on the spear of the hook, for identification.

At the end of each swap I take photos of each members submitted fly pattern and listing of materials. I then send these Fly Pattern Photos and Material Listing to each member of the Fly Swap for their computer Fly Pattern Files.

Twelve Flies are sent in (two for emergencies if a return mailing disappears in the mail), at the end of the swap all extra fly patterns are radomly sorted out into each members fly boxes along with the April Terristrial Fly Swap.

As Swapmeister I am the person to contact if you have a question or problem of any sort during these swaps (the sooner the better)!

10 SEATS IN THIS 2012 BEGINNER'S ONLY FLY SWAPS. First come first seated, there will be no additional seat added after all 10 members are seated. I also will be participating in this swap dressing only 10 dressed fly patterns (as I refill my fly boxes for next fishing season).

4 SWAPS
    January: SOFT-HACKLE WET FLY
    February: NYMPH PATTERN SWAP
    March: DRY FLY SWAP
    April: STREAMER/SALMON-STEELYHEAD SWAP

I will supply each member of these swaps with the following materials:

Fly Box, for monthly swap.
    4 pre-addressed envelope for mailing-in, and 4 pre-addressed envelope for the return mailing.

Once you become a member of these Swaps direct all questions to me at my email address at...
    parnelli@comcast.net
    Subject Line: 2012 Beginner's Only Swaps

or else you can phone me at (651) 777-4650

Needed information for joining:

Full Name (First, MI, Last)
    FAOL Handle:
    Street Address:
    City, State, Zip Code:
    Evening Phone Number:
    Your Email Address:

(example)
    Steven H. McGarthwaite
    Parnelli
    3505 Bellaire Ave
    White Bear Lake MN 55110
    651-777-4650
    parnelli@comcast.net
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 12-27-2011 at 05:31 AM. Reason: New Member
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Come on Folks! There has to be more than one newbie tier here. Parnelli does a great swap and he can teach you all kinds of good techniques and styles. I totally enjoyed the last 5 month Beginner Swap. It was a blast and I learned a whole lot.

Dave
    WCCNovice
    (Alumnus 2010-2011 Beginner's Only Fly Swaps)

November 3rd:

Since there was limited responce, the 2012 Beginner's Only Fly Swap will be offered again on December 1st, 2011, with the first monthly swap beginning on January 1st 2012.

There will only be 4 swaps, January being Soft Hackle, February being Nymphs, March being Dry Flies, and April being Streamers.

If there is not enough members , these swaps will be canceled. ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

November 3rd:

Member #2 has joined the 2012 Beginner's Only Fly Swaps, which will start on January 1st 2012.

This swap is limited to 10 members for these swaps. I will occupy a 11th seat....

As Swapmeister I have lot of things that I have to setup before the start of these 4 monthly swaps, so the sooner everyone registers in.... the sooner I can get to work and start shipping out the preaddressed envelopes, FAOL Fly Pattern CD, fly pattern shipment box, 3 hackle gauges... to the members of the 2012 Beginner's Only Fly Swap

These swap are for newbies as well as those who have been fly tying and have not yet joined in any of FAOL's Fly Swaps....

The FAOL Fly Patterns are in PDF (requiring the free Adobe Reader download).

When registering at my email address: parnelli@comcast.net I will need the following informtion listed at the head of this Fly Swap posting
    • Fulll Name
    • Mailing Address
    • Phone Number: Where I can reach you and the time when I can call
    • Email address
    ~Swapmeister Parnelli

Hello All!!! I havent been around for a few years is it okay to join a swap? I was a newbie then and I'm still a newbie. I might need help picking patterns. There are some shops about an hour from my house so If I need any more material I can get it pretty easily. Thanks!

Scott

Wanted to introduce myself to the forum and post my first recipe for the swap.
    I have fly fished for bass and bluegill for 30 years. Always wanted to tie (dress!) flies but just never dove in. I want to get more of a variety in my flies that I can't seem to find over the counter. Caught my first bass on a fly that I tied in October. I said then that getting excited over a 10" was kinda funny! I was by myself and giggled like a school boy! Will be visiting my son in Colorado next fall for my first adventure in trout fishing and hope to use this forum to start collecting flies for that trip.

I will be dressing an orange soft hackle for the January swap.

#10 Mustad 3906
    Brown thread

Fine Copper Wire
    Orange rabbit dubbing
    Brown indian hen hackle

"Not sure what heaven will be like, but I bet the fish will be biting..."

I've been waiting for a swap to join. I've never done one can I hop in? I'll email Swapmeister Parnelli too.

I'm in! check your inbox Steve

Does anyone else know what they are dressing? Let us know.

I came up with my list. I haven't tied any of these, so it should be a good learning experience.

SOFT-HACKLE WET FLY: Snipe (Starling) and Purple
    NYMPH PATTERN SWAP: Vladi Worm
    DRY FLY SWAP": Fran Better's "Usual"
    STREAMER/SALMON-STEELYHEAD SWAP: Pass Lake Streamer

Closed Thread