+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelhead Swap

Default Steelhead Swap

Let's be clear - No 'design your own' flies! This is for reasonably known STEELHEAD patterns. Oh, no eggs.

Now that that's out of the way: Looking for a swap with a total of 12 tyers. Sign up from now until October 15th or if we get the 12, whichever comes first. If 12 tyers do not sign up, then those who do may decide to continue or cancel. The submission date will be November 15th or until all participants have submitted their flies. Again, whichever date comes first. Standard rules: 1)toe tags with name of tyer and pattern. Recipe is optional if tyer believes it would be of interest. 2)mail in crush proof container. 3)addressed return envelope with adequate postage. If you sign up and cannot complete the swap, for any reason, please contact me as soon as that is known and we'll be okay. Otherwise, it is anticipated that your flies will be received by the due date.

Who's in and with what pattern?

1. Allan, tbd
    Last edited by Allan; 10-01-2011 at 02:04 PM.

I would like to participate. Silver Hilton.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Apparently I am the "thread stopper" for swaps...
    Last edited by billhouk; 10-03-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Hey Bill,

I guess this 'swap' is cancelled due to lack of interest! It seems one of a few things is happening:

1. The 'themes' I pick suck.
    2. People just don't want to swap. Even other swaps are anemic.
    3. Swapping ain't worth it, I guess.
    4. People who do tye flies are too busy.
    5. The number of tyers on this site, or at least those who participate, has gone down.

Used to be well populated 'swaps' going on all the time with a variety of themes. Maybe the uniqueness of something has worn off? I really don't know.

Allan

I thought it was just me! I'll be happy to do a one on one swap. We each tie three of a pattern (maybe varying size if applicable) and send them out. At least we get to share each others work. I've been working on Tequilla Sunrise and Marabou Minnows. The TS is a steelhead fly. I doubt I'll get to steelhead water this year but plan on being on Trail Creek (Michigan City) or Elk Creek (with Greg Senyo's crew) next year!!!

Let me know if you are interested and which pattern (or suggest another).

I have been in over 3 dozen swaps. A few things happened and that is why I don't swap now. The last few swaps that I was in, some of the swappers never sent in their flies or sent them in real late. It wasn't the swapmeisters fault. People were forgetting about it or they just didn't care. I complained about one guy being late for a swap. His answer was ............get a life it's just a fly swap. That happened here on FAOL. I think another thing holding back swappers is the cost of postage. It's a lot more now than when I started swapping.

ridge,

I fully understand your annoyance, especially with someone who responds as the one you describe. Of course things happen that may cause someone to drop out. That's when immediate comunication is vital. But for someone to express such a cavalier attitude is sickening. It's like, 'Yeah, I gave my word to participate and get my flies in on time. But I didn't. What's the big deal? We're only swapping flies. Get over it.' Isn't it too bad that the only way to 'rate' swappers is for each swapmeister to keep track within their swaps. Then, if they see a poorly rated swapper signing up for a swap, warn the swapmeister of that new swap.
    Anyway, I too have been in over 3 dozen swaps here and elsewhere. Aside from knowing the swappers, keeping good communication going, setting realistic dates, and sticking by the rules are the things that have to be done for a successful swap. Oh, and yes, I too think that the cost of postage may be effecting swapper participation.

Bill, The only reason I picked a 'steelhead' swap was because of the time of the year and I thought it might be a good theme. Personally, I have yet to catch a steelhead. Maybe this year if I go up north to one of the tribs of Lake Ontario. For now though, I'll pass on an individual swap. Maybe some other time.

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 10-13-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Not a problem! If we can get some others to join perhaps we can pull this off (now the thread is visible again...)

Quote Originally Posted by billhouk View Post
    Not a problem! If we can get some others to join perhaps we can pull this off (now the thread is visible again...)
    Can you give some examples of steelhead flies of which you are speaking? Also, I prefer each tier pick one fly and tie the appropriate number of them. It seems I find more use for them because if one works then I'll have more of the same.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Can you give some examples of steelhead flies of which you are speaking? Also, I prefer each tier pick one fly and tie the appropriate number of them. It seems I find more use for them because if one works then I'll have more of the same.
    Bruce
    Steelhead flies may be as simple as egg flies or as complex as full dress salmon flies. There are 11 pages of examples at this site: http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/patterns2.html

You should also search FAOL for steelhead patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Bruce
    Bruce,

There are several steelhead pattern books. I think Kaufmann has one. Many patterns are in the books by Joseph Bates. The Premier issue (now defunct though) of Art of Angling Journal has about 100 steelhead flies tyed by Ed Haas. You can do a Google search of 'Steelhead Flies'. Search this site for 'steelhead flies'. There are very simple ones like 'eggs', to ones that are not overly complicated, to ones that are somewhat complicated.
    Anyway, maybe another time.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread