+ Reply to Thread

Thread: All time best brisket

Hybrid View

Default All time best brisket

This recipe is set up for an electric smoker. I don't have one, I used my 2 chamber charcoal grill and a carefully tended fire.

10lb whole brisket
    1/4 cup coarse salt
    1/4 cup coarse black peppercorns
    2Tbs coarse green peppercorns
    2Tbs coarse white peppercorns

Combine peppers and salt. rinse brisket, dry, and rub all over with seasoning mix. Rub it in good. Put meat in 225* smoker over a drip pan and not over the coals, but on the side. Cook until internal temp reaches 150* You will need to watch the fire carefully to maintain the grill temp at 225. This will take at least 2 hours more likely 3. When this temp is reached, remove brisket from smoker, tighty wrap in a double layer of foil, place in the oven at 225 until the internal temp is 185 to 190. This wil take another 2 or 3 hrs. turn off the oven and let meat sit for 45 minutes, remove from oven and rest about and hour. Unwrap and slice. Enjoy the best nekkid brisket in known space. No sauce needed.
    Last edited by greenlantern; 10-06-2011 at 09:44 PM.
    Sometimes the other ones go away, but I'm always right here.

You have me drooling on my keyboard.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

That sound wonderful. You did not give any details on your fire. Was it only charcoal or were you slipping a little hardwood in there also. I have never done a brisket but with pork, turkey and chicken I burn about more wood than I do charcoal.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I cook my briskets in the oven, with a home-made rub, and a 12 ounce can of beef broth with some liquid smoke.

I bake a 4 pound bisket for one hour at 350 degrees F, then I add the beef broth and then seal the pan with heavy duty aluminum foil and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F, and cook for another 3 hours.

Remove the brisket from the pan, and pour the beef broth into a large container to let the powder rub solids to sink to the bottom, then I pour the clear beef broth back into the stove top pan with one bottle "Baby Rays "Hickory Smoke and Brown Sugar Barbeque Sauce"

Food Network has lots of excellent Brisket Recipes that do not require a smoker or outdoor grill.... ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Greenlantern,

Easy? You want to see EASY ? Brisket, salt, pepper, onions, carrots, celery, a bit of liquid ( water, broth etc) pan, cover, 5 hrs , 275 oven. Thicken juices with whatever suits you, roux, corn starch etc. This is the famous Jewish Deli PUMPERNICKS of Miami Beach ( unfortunately no longer) recipe. Not too shabby over a mashed Idaho product.

Mark

My favorite recipe: suck up to steveks and hope he invites me over! The guy makes the best brisket I've ever had!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Greenlantern,

Easy? You want to see EASY ? Brisket, salt, pepper, onions, carrots, celery, a bit of liquid ( water, broth etc) pan, cover, 5 hrs , 275 oven. Thicken juices with whatever suits you, roux, corn starch etc. This is the famous Jewish Deli PUMPERNICKS of Miami Beach ( unfortunately no longer) recipe. Not too shabby over a mashed Idaho product.

Mark
    Make the liquid Shiner Bock, add spicy grainy mustard and good horseradish to the gravy. Have your grandmother make some spatzel, and you are set.
    Sometimes the other ones go away, but I'm always right here.

Recipe looks great. If you're ever in NYC check out Katz's brisket (and pastrami).
    Randy

randyflycaster,
    Been there , done that. Was summarily chastised by of of New York's finest for my inquiry as to where was " HYOOOSTON" street. The look on the cop's face was to be photographed but........... he corrected me , "it's HOWSTON", ( spelled H-O-U-S-T-O-N) an error in pronounciation in those quarters till THIS day. Nevertheless, I did find Katz's and hated the corned beef. I should have opted for the brisket.

Mark

Everyone not from NYC misprounonces Houston Street. If you're ever back here check out the Tenement Museum, it's only a few blocks away, as the the small cememtery where Theodore Gordorn is buried.

Randy

+ Reply to Thread