+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead wraps versus tungsten

Default Lead wraps versus tungsten

Hey fellow tyers,

I love tungsten for my slimmer profile patterns (Zebras, Poison Tungs) for the quick sink rate, however, I am trying to get away from using tungston beads for my buggier patterns where hiding the lead wraps is easier and for cost reasons. I would really like to hear your opinions on the amount of lead wraps and size of lead needed to replace a 5/64 tungsten bead rto get the same sink rate. I normally tie on 18 scud hooks.

Thanks
    steve

Steve, I do this a lot with all of my beadhead patterns. I use regular brass beads in the various colors available and I wrap non-lead wire that I tuck under the bead as a substitute for tungsten. I call it "Poor Man's Tungsten". I use .015 size non-lead wire due to many restrictions on waters against using lead. Here is the reference I've developed for doing this on most bead sizes:

5/64" beads: Hook sizes 18-20 = 2 wraps
    3/32" beads: Hook sizes 16-18 = 3 wraps
    1/8" beads: Hook sizes 12-14 = 4 wraps

Here are some pics as to how it works and looks:

You obviously accomplish two things with this method, while saving money at the same time - you add weight as well as fill the dead space under the bead so it takes fewer thread wraps to finish the fly.

Hope this helps. As to how it compares to tungsten, I haven't done anything scientific to measure this, but it makes sense and saves a lot.

I also use just the .015 size non-lead wire for all of my non-bead patterns that I would like to slim down, yet still have some weight to them, but you won't get the equivalent weight as tungsten with lead or non-lead without bulking up the fly and defeating your purpose.

Kelly.

Last edited by kglissmeyer; 09-30-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

if you want to be extremely nit-picky, find someone who handloads rifle or pistol ammo and use their scale to find the mass of each size tungsten bead, and the equivalent mass of whatever diameter wire you wish to use in place of the bead. Record the length/diameter and bead size correlations, and you will be good-to-go.

You can also compare brass bead of given diameter plus whatever length/diameter of wire correlates to whatever diameter tungsten bead. Tungsten beads, along with everything else, won't all have exactly the same mass (weight), even in the same package, but they will be close.

There are SO MANY other variables in how fast a fly sinks while fishing, that all the numbers will only give you a general comparison anyhow. I usually use brass beads with some wraps of lead wire, and call it good.

Blog Entries

Then at the extreme end, tonight's flies will have a brass conehead, a 3/16" tungsten snugged in behind them, and wire snugging the beads in place. I haven't decided whether I'm going to use leaded or unleaded wire. Poor John Scott might not recognize this mutation of his Pine Squirrel Cheater, especially with the hackle collar in front of the conehead. Then there is the abuse of Mr. Frailey's Peacock Bugger...

Ed, going deep

kglissmeyer, thanks I like that. it looks great and appreciate you putting in the number of wraps you use per size. I just can't justify the cost of tungsten with flies I am planning to bounce on the bottom.

Once upon a time someone on here was selling beads and I didn't get any then. Now I wish I had written down who it was so I could see if he still has any.

Kevin

The best place I have found to buy beads in the Canadian Llama company. They have both brass and tungsten. www.canadianllama.com

I have been using Kelly's trick of packing wire behind a brass bead and have found that it works very well. Thanks Kelly!

Ted

"Once upon a time someone on here was selling beads and I didn't get any then. Now I wish I had written down who it was so I could see if he still has any"

Could that have been "gqualls" on FAOL. I have dealt with him and he is a great person to deal with and he sells beads at very reasonable prices.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Hey Ed, I hope your planning on wearing a helmet when you cast those things. I don't think you can count on much protection from your hair!
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Why not try Spirit River's new Tungsten thread? I saw this at the FTDS in New Orleans. It should be perfect for your needs on small flies such as 18 or smaller Zebras.

http://spiritriver.net/new-products/tungsten-thread

The Spirit River web site says: "Our new tungsten thread is extremely fine, strong and works well for tiny nymphs. The x-fine will tie down to a 28 and the fine is good for 12 through 20. This material is an actual wire but can be half hitched and adds a surprising amount of weight on smaller flies where lead creates too much bulk."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    "Once upon a time someone on here was selling beads and I didn't get any then. Now I wish I had written down who it was so I could see if he still has any"

Could that have been "gqualls" on FAOL. I have dealt with him and he is a great person to deal with and he sells beads at very reasonable prices.
    I have bought a lot of beads from him, and they are good quality. I don't use beads that much anymore. I recommend him.

+ Reply to Thread