+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a standard sixe landing net with a waist/fanny pack

Default Carrying a standard sixe landing net with a waist/fanny pack

Was out trout fishing over the weekend and I have been trying to get use to a fanny/waist pack in place of a vest. The jury is still out, but what I missed was my net. After I got home last night I looked at the belt with the back and determined that the net handle would fit in one of the loops. Since I wear the back on my hip that would place the net behind me. My concern is that the net could fall out and if I didn't know it well then bye bye net! So I am wondering those of you who wear waist packs and carry a net, what's the solution?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Lanyard...

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    Lanyard...
    I don't particularly care for lanyards. Can't stand having all that stuff hanging down in front.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Blog Entries

I know I shouldn't, but it's Monday and the power of the Dark Side is strong...

I've never seen a landing net with a waist/fanny pack...

Sorry.

Ed

I have a key-bak brand retractable reel a friend gave me several years ago I use to attach my net to my tube. Although not specifically designed for fishing it has worked very well.

http://www.keybak.com/super48-series...key-chain.html
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

One option I tried was to use a set of heavy duty suspenders. I drilled two holes through the leather section where they cross in the back and put a cable tie through those to give me a loop to carry my magnetic net hanger.

I could be wrong, but, I think what "chewydog" was recommending was not a lanyard around your neck, but one that has one end attached to the net and the other end attaches to the fanny pak. That way, if the net slips out of the loop, you will be able to retrieve it. The "lanyard" could be made from a material similiar to a bungie cord which would keep it short and out of your way, but, can stretch so that you could use the landing net to land fish. That is what I think he meant when he said, "lanyard".

Just my thoughts and nothing more.....
    Last edited by WarrenP; 09-26-2011 at 07:26 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    I could be wrong, but, I think what "chewydog" was recommending was not a lanyard around your neck, but one that has one end attached to the net and the other end attaches to the fanny pak. That way, if the net slips out of the loop, you will be able to retrieve it. The "lanyard" could be made from a material similiar to a bungie cord which would keep it short and out of your way, but, can stretch so that you could use the landing net to land fish. That is what I think he meant when he said, "lanyard".

Just my thoughts and nothing more.....
    I don't think the loop on the belt is big enough for the handle and a bungie cord to slip through. But I may give that a try. The other alternative is to get a net with a longer handle and just slip it through the belt, but I am not ready to go down that road yet.

Mike, I only wear this particular pack trout fishing and that is the only time I carry a net.

Dave

anglerdave,

Google - binocular harness. There may be one you can adapt to your situation! Hope this helps. Btw, I hang my net by the hoop and not by the handle - cuts down on all that net swaying, and I can just reach and pull down on the handle to release the net! YMMV!

Best regards, Dave S.

There's a guy on ebay that sells a "DeVest" that has a place for a net. I got one and the jury's still out, but will send it to you to try out if you like. The price is right, and you can wear it right over your fanny pack.

+ Reply to Thread