+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A KINGDOM FAR AWAY (conclusion) - Readers Cast (Neil) - September 26, 2011

Blog Entries

Default A KINGDOM FAR AWAY (conclusion) - Readers Cast (Neil) - September 26, 2011

A KINGDOM FAR AWAY (conclusion)

Looking back I am amazed how quickly that winter disappeared, but as I marked the days off my calendar until the opening day of trout season it seemed like it would never come. Letters between Joe and I and the occasional phone call just heightened the excitement and anticipation of that magical day.
    Last edited by rtidd; 09-25-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks Neil. Your story gripped my imagination and would not let it go until it's conclusion. It reminds me of the serial westerns my brother Ken and I used to listen to on the radio when we were young. Close to 60 years ago now. Our folks owned a restaurant/night club in those days and as luck would have it, there were always a few bartender's muddlers in the house. They were shaped like miniature baseball bats about 7 or 8 inches long, and used to crush ingredients for cocktails. Once a week Ken and I would grab a couple of muddlers, go next door in our pajamas, and threaten to beat our grandmother with the muddlers if she didn't make us some Ovaltine and let us listen to evening broadcast of The Lone Ranger on her big radio. Every episode was a continuation of the previous show from last week and a precursor to next weeks program. We seldom missed an episode. Your serial of A Kingdom Faraway was most entertaining in and of itself. But, more than that (at least for me) it was a fond reminder of memories past. The only things missing are the Ovaltine, The Lone Ranger on the radio, and my grandmother. I do however, have my memories. Thank you for kindling them.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Thanks for bring back some long lost memories. This is the Kind of stories that are worth reading. Hope there are more like it to come.

Flyfisher724

Nicely written. Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread