+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there "Luck" in fly fishing?

Default Is there "Luck" in fly fishing?

A comment on another post really got me thinking. Is there luck in fly fishing? I would answer no, and in that answer realized why I prefer fly fishing to bait fishing (and no ? that is not the debate I am trying to have). I do think, though, in comparing the two; luck differentiates them a great deal. Furthermore the idea of marginalizing the luck involved in catching fish; is one of the major reasons why I fly fish.

If we think about luck from a logical standpoint, we could define luck as one possible, but unlikely, outcome of a situation given an infinite number of variables. For example the other month I was riding the DC Metro (a subway). I ended up sitting right across from a guy who lived on my floor freshman year of college. I hadn?t seen him since graduation. Was that luck? Absolutely. Given that there are at least approximately 10 cars on a metro train, with roughly 70 seats a piece, and a different train coming every six minutes or so? The statistical probability that my friend and I would ride the same train at the same time and be near each other is pretty damn small. What, you ask, does that have to do with fly fishing?

Many of us, when we fish, actively evaluate and weigh out these variables from experience, observation, education, etc. A good fly-fisherman, I would argue, is one who is effective at ?putting together the pieces?. By doing so, he reduces the amount of ?luck? needed to catch a fish. Of course the amount of ?luck? involved in catching a fish would differ from situation to situation. A fisherman fishing his local stream during a huge hatch using a perfect imitation needs much less ?luck? that someone prospecting unfamiliar waters with a streamer. The latter example still requires less luck than most traditional fishing (again, I?m not bashing bait fishing or really even attempting to include it in this conversation).

Simply put, there is something advantageous about imitating a set of naturalistic circumstances which seems to greatly reduce the amount of luck needed to catch a fish. I think that the best fisherman (and I?m not saying that I am one of them?not even close) needs no luck what-so-ever. For these men and women its simply that they catch fish when possible, and don?t when impossible (i.e. the darn things just aren?t feeding). That being said?does luck ever occasionally come into play for the fly fisherman? Sure. I think we have all probably caught one or two fish against all odds. The random, oversized dry fly, clumsily placed in an area that would never possibly hold big fish but somehow gets a huge one to rise. Yeah, that?s most likely luck ? but ? those types of things happen less than often.

Anyway, after all that, what I was wondering is what other people think about luck and fly fishing. Is the guy that catches more fish just more lucky? Anyone feel like the only reason they catch fish is out of luck? Any good stories about a huge one caught purely out of luck?

"The most indespensable item in any fisherman's equipment is his hat. This ancient relic, with its battered crown and well-frayed band, preserves not only the memory of every trout he caught,but also the smell" Corey Ford "Tomorrows The Day" (1952)

I left behind at home my favorite and lucky fishing hat one trip. I didn't catch a fish all day! Explain that..........

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

"Given luck or skill I'll take luck any day"....

Forget the author and I'm not brilliant enough to come up with stuff like by myself....

You betcha there's luck!

Just one example of 'luck'.

In January you must schedule your vacation. You decide to attend the Roscoe Fish-In the week of May 29 - June 4th so you put in for the vacation and it's approved. As'luck' and Mother Nature would have it, the weather that week is beautiful or not, the water is at a good condition or high, off-color, or very warm and low.

"Luck is the residue of good planning".

Allan

most assuredly luck plays a big role

GBurg, RW here

In fishing you are helping make your own luck by actually doing something that requires using your own knowledge, skill and application thereof. For instance, you find a pod of fish working and you yourself go about finding a way to make them eat your fly.

In the case of your friend sitting in the same subway car as you it was "coincidence", not luck, because he wasn't even on your mind, nor did you attempt to do anything to want to have him sit in the same car as you beforehand.

Flipping a coin is luck, playing the lottery is luck, because you want a favorable outcome for doing nothing but wanting to win money, no skill...pure chance, but you still put the situation in motion.

You did absolutely nothing...not even think about your friend beforehand. Again I say coincidence.

RW

------------------
    "Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed." <John Gierach>

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 10 May 2006).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Jonezee....you had become adjusted to the shading available from your "lucky" hat and without it, you could not monitor your fly adequately there-by making catching fish more difficult...or I guess it could have been luck

[This message has been edited by Humber Brad (edited 10 May 2006).]

When I first caught a fish on a fly it was alot of luck. When I know it all there will be almost no luck at all. Given that I'll never know it all, luck plays a part. A good one at that.

jed

LUCK IS, "PREPARATION MEETING OPPORTUNITY"

Humber Brad - Since I am bald, I probably was feeling the heat too. I usually soak the hat in the stream, the evaporation really cools down the old nogg'n. Like Allstate says.......don't leave home without it.

+ Reply to Thread