+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Crash...

Hybrid View

Default Computer Crash...

My computer crashed yesterday (9/22/2011).
    • Lost everything in my files.
    • My Compute Monitor screen size is out of wack, top and bottom screen is hidden.
    • Comcast (my server) does not support MS Explorer 6.0. and never inform of the need to upgrade to continue service (I get a billing in the mail every month) I pay them $255 per month average for Digital TV, Digital Telephone, and High Speed Internet Connection....
    • Microsoft Daily update has never notified me of MS Explorer 7.0, 8.0 or 9.0
    • Comcast has never informed me that they have change the site security system.
    • I am unable to download the new Comcast Security System
    • The FAOL files I have converted over the years are in my backup on my main computer as well as my old computer which is completely off line.
    • I need to go to DocuDesk on Monday to get my PDF converter program re-instated.
    • At the moment I Am Not A Happy Camper, with Comcast and Microsoft.....
    Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

We just dumped Comcast and went with Century Link (old Qwest). I'm not sure they're any better though, just cheaper. If I had the where-with-all, I'd switch from Microsoft to Apple, but then this old man would have to learn a bunch of new tricks. Sorry to hear about your WOE's Parn.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Sounds like a job for Geek Squad to me!

With all due respect, if the computer is that old (based on the fact that it has been running IE 6.0), I'm not sure it would be worth spending even a couple hundred dollars on for repairs. For not a whole lot more, you can get a new machine that will serve you a lot longer, then hopefully pull the files you need off of the old drive or whatever you might have been using for backup.

What happened to my computer was a failure to commuicate by Comcast and Microsoft Update.

Comcast-Infinity failed to notify the Comcast Customers that they no longer support Microsoft Explorer 6.0. Microsoft failed to notify Daily Update clients of Explorer 7.0, Explorer 8.0 or Explorer 9.0 ...

If I had been informed then I would have upgraded my Explorer.

Comcast still has the Norton to all customer, but they now are bundling it with other Xfinity/Comcast programs, which I can not download as with a problem with the Windows. Net 3.0 Framework...

Finally after about 20 phone calls to Comcast Service Support I was given the phone number for Norton Support, and a agent in India, solved my Norton problem....

I am now up and running again, and retrieving the lost files from my computers "D" files....

If you are using the Microsoft Windows Explorer make sure you have the most current Explorer either 8.0 or 9.0. ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Wow! IE 6 is at least ten years old. It wouldn't matter at this point if they did tell you about updates because your probably couldn't run them. Your computer died. Don't blame Comcast. I use other sources to keep up with updates. (geek sites)

My husbands computer was about ten years old...yesterday we got back from a couple of weeks fishing, he turned on his computer and there was sparks, arching and flames shooting out the back end. I told him I think his computer just fried itself. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! They get old...and they die hard!

He's now sitting down with a new computer. Took me half the night with Bell to get it connected to the internet but it's online.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

You should take the free upgrade to 8 to get better compatability with any ISP and better security. 9 will only run on newer operating systems and computers.
    Last edited by Max; 09-26-2011 at 03:49 AM. Reason: fix typo
    Max

Kerry got to say this but not all MS products run as they're supposed to LOL.

Steve don't know why you didn't get the nasty gram through updates section to update IE, I have mine set to let me know updates are there and I will choose what gets updated, and DAILY I see IE8 and IE9 listed. I uncheck them.

Max I have a REAL big problem with IE8, and this is about as nicely as I can put it IT BITES!!!!!!!!!!! From reading and painful experience I have never seen more complaints about any other version of IE. Friends whose machines I've fixed and put back Ver. 7 now run right. Haven't read or tested Ver. 9 so can't say much about it.

Fatman

Better yet, switch for Firefox or Chrome.

Parneli
    You sent the disc with the fly tying articles a while back. If you need the copy, let me know and it will be there! I hate fairpoint in my area!!
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread