+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canine Breakthrough

I leave my fishin' dawg Kodiak home when I suspect the waters will be crowded or we will be near a highway, and take her along if it's home waters or a remote area. She's so good (especially when out in the wilderness -- high alert and behavior status) I've gotten out of a 'no leash' ticket from the ranger before..."that dog is obviously under control."

I agree with Satchel, too -- my fishin' buddies are used to her swimming across the river every so often to say hi and ask how they're doing, but I'd be mortally embarassed if she did it to a stranger and disturbed their fishing.

Here she is -- quite elderly (note the gray muzzle), grouchy with other dogs, but good for a couple miles hiking and still loves to fish. She's carrying her food, extra fly boxes, a chewy toy, and my rain gear ;~)

DAN

[This message has been edited by danbob (edited 09 May 2006).]

[This message has been edited by danbob (edited 09 May 2006).]

Awesome picture!

Daisy, my girlfriend's dog and my best fishing pal:

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:db440]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:db440]

Sorry to sound rather harsh about the issue but last trip to the White river I found myself trying to get away from a Lab from the neighbors house and he didn't want me to get away from him. He also wanted to be in touch with my 2 buddies who were in the same area. We had travelled 11 1/2 hours to get to the White and it just really makes for a bad taste when people allow their dog to run wild on the river and spook fish, which he definitely did. We didn't catch a fish until at least 20 minutes had passed after the dog finally lost interest and went back home.

My Dog Jesse, (3/4 chocolate lab and 1/4 German shephard) is such a good boy. I just really don't want to have to put the law down and try and make him stay out of other peoples way in order to take him along to the river. I go to fish, not dog sit.

I agree, if you're going somewhere that doesn't put you in the company of other people, or to a world famous trout river like the White, then by all means take the dog and the kids and have a ball. But if you're going to be around other poeple, some of who may have travelled a long way and paid for accomodations on the river to fish then it really isn't very nice to make them put up with your dog in their fishing spot. It's just a matter of consideration for other anglers.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

[This message has been edited by Satchel (edited 09 May 2006).]

I'm pretty confident in taking Jack where ever I go these days. The field training colar I use pretty much takes him from 90% attentive to 100%; I recommend it for outdoor off leash situations.

Have fun
    Paul

[This message has been edited by P.Dieter (edited 09 May 2006).]

GREAT picture, Paul!
    I was hoping that fcch's pic would bring more dawg pictures to the thread.

A good rule: Always bring a leash, in case the water IS crowded when you get there.

I would add for Satchel, I would never bring my dog to world-famous fishing waters, even on a leash. Last year at the Miricle Mile in Wyoming, I met and talked to a party of 20-somethings from Singapore. They spent their life savings on the trip. I'd be upset too if a loose dog wrecked the fishing -- unless the dog could've netted that giant brown that I lost on that trip....

DANBOB

Great picture, Dan. What mountain is that in the background? Backside of Mount Audubon? What I would have given to have a dog like that when I was trekking about above timberline! Our favorite was Crystal Lake. Not crowded during the week, great view of the stars, good fishing (sometimes we even put a fly on the end of the line.)

Diane

I have seen a dog grab a hooked fish with very bad results. Heartbreaking was the dog with the treble hook in it's paw.

Ouch, JC -- or maybe "aroooooo!"

Diane, it's Mt. Dickinson (left) and Mt. Dunraven (right) in the background, on the north side of Rocky Mtn National Park. No dogs allowed in the park, so we camped just outside the boundary and day hiked in to fish, without dogs, to the headwaters of the N fork Big Thompson, which are under those clouds in a 1000 ft deep canyon.

Dawgs got to help fish for the other 5 days of the backpack trip, where it was legal for them to be there. Brookies and beaver ponds everywhere, and even one endangered Greenback Cutthroat where the research said he wasn't supposed to be. Looked healthy, too, maybe they are getting a foothold (finhold) beyond the 'fishing prohibited' recovery area. It sure surprised us to see that big cutty down there amonsgt the swarm of tiny brookies...or maybe that's not so surprising!
    DANBOB

Dinah is well supervised. Here is Bear supervising from the top of the houseboat.

+ Reply to Thread