+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lake Superior Pinks

Hybrid View

Default Lake Superior Pinks

Got down on the North Shore yesterday and the pinks were coming in really good. Hard part was getting a legit take before one would blunder sideways into your fly.Fish are still bright and clean and fiesty!! Talked with my oldest son last night and he tells me they aren't in on the Lester ( edge of Duluth) , But they're in strong between Two Harbours and Silver Bay. I would guess they're in up from Silver Bay as well. They are a riot on a 5 wt.. Other than a few folks looking at the leaves and the waves on the lake, I only had to share the river with a few mergansers!

Blog Entries

51BC,

You are lucky, you have a nice run of Pinks and no combat fishing. Over here in the Puget Sound area of Washington, we had a run of Pinks this summer, every other year, but it is a total mad house along the saltwater shorelines and the rivers, shoulder to shoulder fishing, not my style. Pinks are a great fish to catch, lots of action. Enjoy the run.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Thanks Larry! I realize how lucky I am. Most people around here don't even give the Pinks a thought. They don't even see them until they go out next month for the cohos and steelhead and see the dead pinks laying on the banks.
    We get a run every year, odd years are just a bit stronger. Seems that ever since the accidental introduction some years back, some of they fish evolved to spend 3 years in the lake, likely due to the sterility of Lake Superior. They only get to be about 15-16 inches long here, but they are fun!!

+ Reply to Thread