+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Flys ???

Default What Flys ???

Cutthroat flys?

I'm going to Alaska in August and our guide is flying us into a place where there is "almost constant cutthroat action". I said we would buy flys from him since I'm a salt water/warm water guy.
    I was just wondering though..... What kind of flys do you think he'll use for cutthroats? What would you use?

Aloha,
    Stan

I'd say 9 chances out of 10...the flies he is going to use are the flies that work. As for what they might be, I don't know, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting the wrong flies from him (if that happened to be on your mind?)

Stan....do a search on "cutthroat flies" at fishbc.com ....lots of info on west coast fisheries including a large following of cutty fishers...

mojo

Sounds like he wants to supply the flies. Several reasons he might want to do this, most of them good. Be glad he does.

What part of Alaska are you going? I've made several trips and lived there for couple years. Great fishing if you are awake at 10.30 pm or at 3 am (yes, the sun is still up then).

Diane

I went to college in Alaska in the late 60's and also worked for the US Forest Service. I was fortunate to travel over most of the SE panhandle and some of the mainland. I have also returned several times to fish and play tourist. The Spruce Fly was (and still should be) a constant producer. Size 10 thru 6. The Royal Coachman bucktail always brought in fish. A favorite of mine is a Purple Joe, size 6, red tail, putple yarn body and Purple and Black hackle. Fish dry in small sizes, wet in the 8's & 6's. Quite honestly, any attractor fly should get you fish. I have even caught them on bare, gold single egg hooks. You are going to experience fishing like you have never had before. Don't worry, be happy.

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

Jonezee, isn't that the truth... A great experience.

When I was in Anchorage, I just stopped by Elmendorf, asked what they were biting, and picked up a pack of orange leeches. (My fly tying was on hiatis.) I got something every time I went out except for the "combat fishing" times.

I loved the Kenai area. BUT I do not miss the bugs. We went up the Old Haul rode, tried to fish a few creeks, but those *#&@ mosquitos drove me away.

hey stan are you fishing for costal cutties...

I'll be fishing with the guys at The Hook Up, a fly shop in Ketchikan. I stopped by there for a few hours while on an Alaska Cruse. Walked off the ship and down the pier to the shop. They fixed me up with a licence and some waders. We drove to a small stream just out of town where I hooked Pinks for the next 2 hours. It was fantastic.

I had fished the lodges is SE Alaska for years, but always from a boat... never fly fishing. I had to go back. This August we'll be staying at a B&B for 7 days and fishing at a different spot each day. I ask them to supply all the flys because they will know what works. Although I'm going to try a few of my tropical favorites too.

I fish salt water and the peacock bass here in Hawaii so the "cold water" flys are all new to me. From what I've seen, seems like anything will catch fish in Alaska. LOL

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I hope to have a good fishing report for you all after the trip.
    I told my son and my brother if they could learn to fly fish I would take them along.... so now it's time to pay up. I'll probably spend more time taking pictures, eating blue berries, and watching them do all the "work". <grin>

Thanks again,
    Stan

+ Reply to Thread