+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dispatching Blue Gill

Hybrid View

Default Dispatching Blue Gill

Hi All,

I have been busy so not much fishing this year, however I was camping with the scout troop this weekend and 2 of the boys were working on the Fishing Merit Badge. They both caught some BG so we kept a couple for them to fillet and cook. I know there are a bunch of folks who love frying up some gills, so I was curious what your preferred methods of dispatching and filleting them are?

Thanks,

Mike

As long as you won't report me to PETA, I admit that on the rare occasions when I keep a few fish to eat, I keep them alive as long as possible; usually all the way to the kitchen sink. I dispatch them by making a quick cut to the spine, right behind the head. I use a pair of poultry scissors for the task as they are made for "kitchen" work and are strong enough to snip through the spine in one quick clip. I've tried thumping them on the top of the head with the back edge of the knife, but I think this more stuns them than outright "dispatching". I'll be interested hearing other peoples methods as I'm always open to learning new ideas.

Jim Smith

I know many people who basically want the fish "kicking" when they remove the filet, which usually dispatches the fish. The filet is removed by running a sharp knife or electric knife along the spine flipping it over before cutting through the skin at the end and then removing the skin in a similar matter. The rib bones are cut around by some people and other cut them out as the last act.

Here's a pretty good video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJXYBR6sVzk There are a couple of things I don't recommend, first ice fishing, second filetting fish in the kitchen. But you're not married to my wife, yours may not mind.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Of all the edible fish you may catch, bluegill and crappie run neck and neck for ability to repopulate a water body. Guilt should not show up when you want to eat some. The easiest way to dispatch them is to keep them out of the water, i.e. toss them in the ice chest or creel. I wouldn't suggest keeping them on a stringer in the water, if there are any snakes in the waterbody you may have an unwelcome visitor.
    Crappie should be large enough to filet. Bluegill are best scaled, floured and fried. After scaling, head bluegill right behind the gills) and gut them, dredge in flour, egg bath and flour again or corn meal (seasoned and spiced to taste and fry till golden brown. The fins and tail are considered delicacies. There are small bones to watch out for.

Thanks for the replies guys, especially the link to the video. Definitely a "why didn't I think of that" moment. Take care.

Although crappie are my favorite fish for eating, I have lots of friends who would put down a crappie filet for a bluegill. Growing up in a rural area of the south where most folks were fishing for food as well as fun very small fish were kept. Bream (sunnies in your neck of the woods) which includes bluegills had the head and innards removed, were scaled and fried crispy. I would never get in a argument with a "cajun" about cooking, but cornmeal, salt and pepper were the common addition to the fish. The egg bath holds those in place.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread