+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dyna-King Vise Issues

Hybrid View

Question Dyna-King Vise Issues

I just bought a Dyna-Kink Kingfisher as a silent auction and think I made a grave error. I have used Regals and Travelers for years and am so used to a true rotary I can't stand the rotation of the Kingfisher. I forgot how frustrating a non-true rotation can be. Is this just my problem or is it a common issue?
    Bob

The Kingfisher is a great vise. The barrel/jaws rotate as they do on most vises but it is not an inline rotary vise. As such, I think if you are trying to compare the Kingfisher to an inline rotary vise you are not comparing equivalent tools since they do not function the same.

I agree. My problem is that I'm so used to inline that I can hardly use the Kingfisher. I've read all the praise for this vise and did so before I bought it, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to use a non-inline vise again. So much of my tying is based on the inline I'm now dependent and otherwise handicapped for other vises.

Sorry Coach but like TL said it's your problem. I have one and I love it, I've never tied on an inline or rotary I do everything myself. Don't know what you paid for it but you'd be better off putting it up in the sale section if you don't like it. It really is a good vise but once you go over to the "dark side" LOL or rotary you find it hard to go back, and that's from folks who tie WAY better than me.

Coach,

Let me see, you say that, "I have used Regals and Travelers for years and am so used to a true rotary I can't stand the rotation of the Kingfisher. I forgot how frustrating a non-true rotation can be." Now I know nothing about the Kingfisher but I know something about the other two you cite. While yes, the Renzetti is a 'true' rotary, the Regal, since you've had it for years must be the standard model, is NOT! It is not a 'true' rotary and you cannot do with it what you can with a Renzetti. This is not to say one is better than the other. Personally, I prefer the Regal for several reasons that I won't cite here. Again, I'm not questioning the quality or the function of the Kingfisher since I know nothing about it. I am just questioning your description of the other two vises.

Allan

When it comes to using the rotary feature for tying I find the in-line to be a better choice. I have a DK Voyager II, which is not an in-line rotary vise, for travel and tying winged flies. I like being able to rotate the shaft to get a 360 degree view of the fliy while I tie. For dubbing and hackle flies I like the NorVise where I can take advantage of the in-line rotary feature. Vises are just tools for the job and picking the right tool makes for a better time at the bench.
    Last edited by TyroneFly; 09-19-2011 at 06:57 PM.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread