+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to weight softhackles?

I prefer beads. But that is just me. Easier to tie. Stay on better. Strengthens the fly. Looks more buggy. But it depends on how I'm fishing as to what fly i use. I tend not to use wire ribbing except for zebra midges.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

You can use Tungsten Beads. Wire body is good to. Myself, I use a Type II or Type III wet Cell full sink line and just adjust leader length. And by leader, I mean a straight piece of Fluorocarbon. Usually 4 feet it good. This way, I can put the fly anywhere I want..even sub surface when needed.

AlanB Guest

Lots of my spiders are tied with wire bodies, another approach I use id to use a furled leader made from Kevlar. Untreated it goes sinks quite fast.
    Cheers,
    Alan.

I trail my soft hackle patterns 24 inches behind a bead head nymph. I jokingly call my weighted patterns "soft hackle delivery flies" since I am trying to get the SH down in quick current. I do not like to weight the SH patterns as I feel it messes with their zip and vitality. I know that is likely an erroneous thought but after many years it is hard for me to break my process.

Lots of other great responses - thanks to all for your perspectives.

Take care

Try using flat lead tape. Just cut a very thin strip and wrap it on. Adds weight without bulk. Here is a place, speaking bulk, you can buy it in large quantities. And no, I'm not associated with these people:
    http://www.tapecase.com/p.712.201/3m...foil-tape.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Shmang View Post
    I trail my soft hackle patterns 24 inches behind a bead head nymph. I jokingly call my weighted patterns "soft hackle delivery flies" since I am trying to get the SH down in quick current. I do not like to weight the SH patterns as I feel it messes with their zip and vitality. I know that is likely an erroneous thought but after many years it is hard for me to break my process.

Take care

That is my thought too. Plus by using your idea, or my sinking line idea, that fly can be fished in any zone, were as, by weighting it you are limited.

Gaeronf, I'm with you. Lead tape is the way to go to keep a slim body.

I very seldom weight soft hackle flies. When I really have to, I use the lead foil from the tops of champagne bottles. As a non drinker, I have friends who save it for me. The only disadvantage is the lack of adhesive backing.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I'm with REE on this one, once in a while I will coat the leader with snake river mud but thats it..

I still prefer split shot to get a soft hackle down when required. Doesn't mess with the action, and you can use the proper sized shot to fit the conditions. I did see a guy using ones with all lead wire bodies in Colorado this summer. He'd wrap the body, leaving room for the hackle and head, with lead wire then paint the wire with his preferred color of acrylic paint. Locked the wire to the hook and he had some pretty colors. Watched him catch some nice fish on one painted green, and he showed me his fly box with reds, browns, chartruese, several colors of green/olives, and one he told me was his 'favorite' a bright yellow with a black band around the middle. Sank like a stone but worked well in fast water. Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread