+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to weight softhackles?

Hybrid View

Default Best way to weight softhackles?

Hey guys.
    I use to add weight to my soft hackles. Beads or lead wire. Partridge series mainly, which are 90% of my softs.
    The original patterns do not show lead nor any weight.
    The reason is that I love to use foating lines almost all the time, and usually a relativelly fast current obligates me to go down fast, or deep waters to put the fly where the trout are. A sink tip is not the best option of course.
    Do you use weight on softhackles?

R.

I use weight for some soft hackles. When I do I use .015 lead free wire. It is environmentally sound and I can layer it to provide bulk. It really depends on the pattern and how and where I'm going to fish it. I would think weight would be most appropriate in still water or in fast moving water (as you indicated).

I don't usually like to fish softhackles too deep so, if I want to get one down I'll either use a beadhead, wire body or combination of both

Regards,
    Scott

There is no 'best' way to add weight to softhackles.
    If you cast up-stream, the flies have a chance to sink deeper.
    If you use hooks with a heavier guage wire this is another way.
    Tie flies with wire bodies is another:-

I have used UTC fine and Xtra fine.
    Here is an old favourite 'wired up'.

I have never been very keen on beads, unless they are quite small.

You'll notice the beads the beads are very small.
    I have used Varivas hooks but they are not crucial.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

You could also use Quick Descent dubbing for the body.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Another good way is to tie your fly on a hook the next size up. So, tie a size 14 proportioned fly on a size 12 hook (short body, smaller hackle, etc). This will leave a fair amount of hook out the back end, but that bare hook adds weight and cuts through the water nicely. As Donald mentioned, cast upstream, and use heavier gage wire.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
    Hey guys.
    I use to add weight to my soft hackles. Beads or lead wire. Partridge series mainly, which are 90% of my softs.
    The original patterns do not show lead nor any weight.
    The reason is that I love to use foating lines almost all the time, and usually a relativelly fast current obligates me to go down fast, or deep waters to put the fly where the trout are. A sink tip is not the best option of course.
    Do you use weight on softhackles?

R.
    I don't. Small split shot - 8" up.

A weighted poly leader, such as those sold by AirFlo - could be an answer as well if one is simply swinging downstream.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I don't. Small split shot - 8" up.

A weighted poly leader, such as those sold by AirFlo - could be an answer as well if one is simply swinging downstream.

I am tending more towards a hybrid of Donald Nicolson and Steve. I tend to not weight soft hackles that I'm tying now, but I do tie weighted flies to fish as a bottom dropper to take a cast down, if desired. That way the unweighted flies are taken deeper into the water profile but they are still light enough in weight to move and dance more naturally, like an actual "bug".
    Leo D. put me onto some hooks that mean I don't have to pay the extreme prices for Varivas hooks that Donald uses. They are exactly the same, but the seem to be close enough.
    I still need to tie more flies for Saturday.

Ed

P.S. Leo, I've got your 37160's bagged for you. I'll try to get by the shop on Wednesday evening.

I prefer beads. But that is just me. Easier to tie. Stay on better. Strengthens the fly. Looks more buggy. But it depends on how I'm fishing as to what fly i use. I tend not to use wire ribbing except for zebra midges.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

You can use Tungsten Beads. Wire body is good to. Myself, I use a Type II or Type III wet Cell full sink line and just adjust leader length. And by leader, I mean a straight piece of Fluorocarbon. Usually 4 feet it good. This way, I can put the fly anywhere I want..even sub surface when needed.

+ Reply to Thread