+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Lanyard and Sundries

Hybrid View

1602 NE 180th Ter Smithville MO 64089-9120.

Default Fly Lanyard and Sundries

How many guys use a lanyard and what do you keep on them?
    I'm trying to get an idea of what I need on mine. How many connectors or attachment
    points do you have on yours would you like more or less than what you have right now?
    I'm designing a new lanyard and I need some feedback before I start.
    Thanks

I've been using a lanyard for a couple of years now, but I still have not decided if I like doing that.

It has a small Swiss Army knife with sharp scissors, a magnetic fly threader, a clip to hold it to my shirt, forceps on a zinger, a holder for a bottle of floatant and a nipper on a zinger. I don't have a need for any more attachments, but your mileage may vary.

I guess I use one. I have spliced a piece of 14 wt. double taper spey line into a "lanyard" with nippers and a hook file on it. I don't need much stuff when I fish. Along with the "lanyard" I carry a box of flies, a spool of tippet, and a tip wallet. Nothing more. Why would you need more?
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Blog Entries

heres mine home made i keep my tippit, gink, nippers, small flybox, magnifier, forcips, nail knotter, line cleanser ans leader straightener,

Mine is a commercial Mayfly product, which has a tab of leather in addition to the clips. The leather is great for attaching my forceps. On the clips are floatant, nippers, line straightener/fly drier and whistle. (I can’t understand people who go into a river out in a tube without a whistle). At the bottom there is a clip to attach the lanyard to my shirt so that it doesn't swing into the way, and there I have also attached a split ring to affix a small magnet fly drying box.
    In my pockets I have the small fly box for the evening, and both 3x and 5x tippet for rebuilding leaders.

I would also add for those making their own - I think the commercial ones with the break-away joints are a good idea. I doubt I will ever fall in a river AND be swept toward a banch that catches the lanyard, but why make that a concern at all. The break-away joints (one on each side) are made like this: get two sections if surgical or aquarium tubing about 3" long (or so).
    Create the lanyard so the 'bead/tool' part is not the same piece of string as the 'neck' part. Put a knot at each of the 4 string ends. Connect the 'neck' part to the 'tool' part by jamming the knots into the tubing (on each side) until they hold. If you are ever snagged, the knots should yank out of the tubing - you lose the lanyard and hopefully nothing else.
    Last edited by Greg H; 09-16-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: more information

I use a lanyard and find that it helps to keep the frequently used rigging stuff close at hand. Mine has:
    -- nippers and a safety pin
    -- tin shot and tungsten putty
    -- fly grease and powder

Everything else is in / on a hip pack that's normally swung around to my back.

+ Reply to Thread