+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glass Trap

Thanks Eric. Too cool.
    You have a PM.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I fell back into glass rods awhile ago. Glass rods-Gotta luv em!
    P.S the 2010 8ft is a good workhorse rod,I like the cosmetics on that year.
    It wouldn't hurt to hunt down a couple of the first batch Diamondglass rods either.

Quote Originally Posted by flickfly View Post
    I fell back into glass rods awhile ago. Glass rods-Gotta luv em!
    P.S the 2010 8ft is a good workhorse rod,I like the cosmetics on that year.
    It wouldn't hurt to hunt down a couple of the first batch Diamondglass rods either.
    A Diamondglass rod has always been on my want-list. But the price has always been too prohibitive for me.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I've always been a fiberglass fan and didn't buy my first graphite trout rod until well into the '90s
    My father built and gifted me a Lamiglas 4wt in '72 and that was main stick for many years.
    Nowadaze, I most often fish a late '50s Phillipson Royal along with a '63 Wright & McGill Feather Light, the predecessor of the EagleClaw Featherlight. The old W&M has a normal brass ferrule and IMO casts much better than the funky EagleClaw butt over tip ferrule. But it was a cheap rod even then.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    A Diamondglass rod has always been on my want-list. But the price has always been too prohibitive for me.
    In my opinion, that's a good one to keep your eyes open for. I "grew up" in this sport on graphite, but always longed for a feel that wasn't there in most of the graphite rods, a feel for the line when casting and, more significantly, an ability to feel every head shake of the fish on the other end, that I felt like I experienced less as my rods got supposedly more sophisticated (expensive) and faster. A few years ago, before they discontinued them, I bought the Diamondglass in the 8 foot 4 wt. configuration, and it's probably the most enjoyable rod I fish. If it weren't for the fact that most of my fishing here is on a big, sprawling tailwater where I'm unfortunately more likely to need to throw a lot of "junk" long distances and/or use a sink tip line, it would easily be my most used rod too. As it is, it's an amazingly versatile rod. I don't own any of the older fiberglass rods, but my sense is that this one strikes the perfect balance, for me at least. The "S" glass that Diamondback uses is just a shade faster than the "E" glass that's more common in the older rods at least. While the "S" is still way slower than graphite, it gives the rod some versatility that I didn't think I'd have with an "E" glass model. For me, it wasn't practical, financially or otherwise, to have a rod that was effectively a dries-only rod, even when it comes to smaller waters where I'd use a 3 or 4 weight. Much as I wish I lived somewhere where I could count on a hatch of some type most times I fish, it's regrettably the exception rather than the rule for me. While I want to enjoy and be able to make those delicate, technical casts when I'm lucky enough to find myself in those circumstances, the realities are that I need a rod that can also capably cast a nymph or two, probably with some weight and possibly with an indicator. When I get to a deep pool and nothing's going on, I don't want to be precluded from tying on a modest size bugger because my rod struggles with anything beyond a size 14 BWO and likewise, if the wind kicks up, I don't want to face a myriad of limitations because of the rod I brought that day. For me, that Diamondglass has been a home run in that it performs beautifully on all those fronts, and the feel as I described it above is simply remarkable.

You might keep your eyes open for used ones. They don't come up often and when they do, are frequently sold for very near what they commanded new, but once in awhile there's an unexpected bargain. I noticed recently that Cortland has re-released the line, I think on the same blanks and again with the "S" glass. It sounds as if the blanks may be rolled overseas, but I guess that's not that big a deal anymore, and I think they are all four pieces now, which is nice. Most of the old ones, mine included, were two piece, which is a little bit of a nuisance, but one I happily endure.

This is a trap you'll fall deeper and deeper into. I did, and I have zero regrets. I went ahead and splurged on a Steffen and the 8' 5/6 is probably the most versatile rod I own. It lays dries down with nary a ripple and hucks junk with the best of them, If I feel like throwing a big articulated streamer, it'll do that as well. Then, you'll start fishing classic glass...it goes on and on. my Fenwick FF857 is probably the second most versatile rod I own and I'll steelhead fish with it a fair amount. The FF909 is another fun one, but is a beast...I've added an extended fighting butt to it to make it more two-hand friendly and it'll throw a 300 grain short scandi head really nicely along with a short 320-400gr skagit head with 8.5' of T11. Then there's the one that hasn't even seen the water yet (at least not by me), The Equalizer....the System 12 (SA 9' 12wt). It's a fun addiction to have...
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Eric's Eagle Claw Featherlight showed up today. What a charm it is to cast. I lays line down as soft as you please. Thanks Eric.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I've noticed no one has mentioned what I personally consider the king of the glass rods, Peak. Russ Peak was way ahead of his time and pushed the design of all wrapped rods. There are some around, I've cast a couple and do not own one. The prices are not cheap - but they weren't when they were made either.
    Last edited by LadyFisher; 09-23-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling

NewTyer 1 Guest

I too just got my Featherlight rod and love it. It has a real classic feel. I also have a Phillipson Master and a Wonderod. Love all three

+ Reply to Thread