+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cast better than a parachute

Hybrid View

Default Cast better than a parachute

I remember seeing the Snagproof frog ads in magazines as a kid and thinking they were ridiculous. Then I learned you could chunk them about anywhere and catch bass on them. That was in the inspiration for this, it will get chunked around this fall but I cannot wait for next spring with a heavier leader. This is a large pice of foam, actually 3 pieces glued together, not counting the belly piece and eyes. It is the most wind resistant thing I have ever tried to cast, it's almost an inch wide and is 2 inches long. But I think the LMB will love it.
    Frog 1.jpgFrog 2.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Lake Lanier denizens should love that . . . !

What did you use to shape the top (LH picture looks suspiciously similar to an Uncle Josh Pork Chunk . . . ) ?

nunc
    (Mid Houston Co Ga)

Frog side view 2.jpgFrog side view 1.jpgIt is actually three layers of EVA foam glued together. I cut the U shape in the middle layer to allow a large plastic worm hook to hang in the middle and remain completely weedless but pop up if pressed from the bottom. I added a small piece in the front to get the head shape I wanted. It will probably be exported to a friend in Mississippi, who has been ask by a neighor to thin out some of the yearling bass in a farm pond. I need a neighbor like that.

The heaviest rod I currently own is a 5/6 wt. I can only cast it about 30 ft., which is usually enough fishing from a float tube but I am thinking of a small version for my personal use next spring in the local lakes I fish.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 09-19-2011 at 10:32 PM.

'Preciate the details, I'll be giving this a try in the near future . . . besides, it looks like it might work nicely on 8wt fiberglass !

. . . now that I think about it, your choice of header probably refers to a DB Cooper-type parachute rather than a dry fly, huh . . . ?

nunc
    Last edited by SMClark; 09-22-2011 at 06:05 PM.

I was thinking more of the type used for exiting aircraft. My friend in Mississippi has a 9 ft. 7 or 8 wt. that I think will chuck quite well. He's just a fuzz under 6' 5" and was pushing 290 the last I heard so he should be able to provide ample power.

I got out in my yard with a 5/6 wt. I could do about 30 ft. with it, but in my mind's eye I can see a nice largemouth exploding on the thing near the edge of lily pads, a grass line or my a old log. The trick is going to be letting the fish get it in her mouth to get a good hook set.

+ Reply to Thread